none
LS 2012 HTML Client: Strange validation error; Seems like a bug. Please help (sample app and video included) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a sample application that shows this issue as well as a video demonstration.  Basically, our application is using a KendoUI Web ComboBox to select a customer when adding a new order.  The good news is that everything concerning the custom control is working properly.  The bad news is that a strange validation error message, "Error: Cannot continue. There are validation errors on the page.", appears in one scenario.  Rather than describing it here, please look at the video, which shows how to make the issue appear and my work-around.  I have also included a self-contained sample application.  I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out why this validation error is happening and have run out of ideas.  I hope that you can help...  Here are the materials:

LSSample.zip

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

Mike

Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

On your AddEditOrder screen, under the Customer Custom Control, you have a child content item of type Text Box bound to Customer's Display As. If you switch this content item into a Label, or delete it, then you will not get the validation error.

The validation system looks at content items on the screen, and when it sees a content item bound to an editable control, it will try to validate the content item. Even though the Display As Text Box is not displayed because it's under a Custom Control, the validation system still validates it.

Best regards,
    Huy

Friday, September 6, 2013 9:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

On your AddEditOrder screen, under the Customer Custom Control, you have a child content item of type Text Box bound to Customer's Display As. If you switch this content item into a Label, or delete it, then you will not get the validation error.

The validation system looks at content items on the screen, and when it sees a content item bound to an editable control, it will try to validate the content item. Even though the Display As Text Box is not displayed because it's under a Custom Control, the validation system still validates it.

Best regards,
    Huy

Friday, September 6, 2013 9:55 PM
  • I cannot thank you enough for your response to my question, Huy!  I wrested with this issue for days and could not figure out what was going on.  Your response was perfectly timed...  I simply deleted the field, ran the sample application, and it worked perfectly!  I've made the change in our real application, and it is working great!  Now, I can get a good night of sleep!

I am sure that this information will help others as they integrate custom controls into their applications.

Thank you again for your help!

Mike

Saturday, September 7, 2013 1:26 AM