Visual C++ 2010 Express Merge Modules not installed RRS feed

• Question

• Installing Visual Studio C++ Express does not seem to be installing the merge modules in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules.

I can see my already installed Visual Studio C++ 2008 merge modules there.  I saw this related question:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vcgeneral/thread/c9942ed8-50eb-42cd-ac32-df0d70cae73d

But the moderator assigned answer makes it look like there is an option in the installer that was not selected. I can not see any such option and I have reinstalled with no luck. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi engel,

Express edition even doesn’t support deployment project, so it might not include the merge module in the installation. Though I don’t find document explain this, based on my experience, merge module is used to redistribute these component along with your application. If you do not deploy the app, merge module is not needed. That’s why it doesn’t shipped with VS express edition.

Sincerely,

Kira Qian
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by Kira Qian Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:18 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:24 AM

All replies

• I have removed the older Visual Studio C++ Express 2008, a Visual Studio Shell (integrated mode) installation and my new Visual C++ Express 2010.  I downloaded the Visual Studio Express .iso and re-installed from it instead of the web installer (vc_web) to see if that made any difference, but the result is the same. Where are the merge modules for the Visual Studio C++ runtime redistributable? I really need to create a Windows Installer package (.msi) including it and I can not find them anywhere. Any insight will be really appreciated here.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Hi engel,

Express edition even doesn’t support deployment project, so it might not include the merge module in the installation. Though I don’t find document explain this, based on my experience, merge module is used to redistribute these component along with your application. If you do not deploy the app, merge module is not needed. That’s why it doesn’t shipped with VS express edition.

Sincerely,

Kira Qian
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by Kira Qian Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:18 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

Express Edition does not support deployment but for example open source Microsoft project - WIX (http://wix.codeplex.com/) does.
    Where can I download Microsoft_VC100_CRT_x86.msm and other merge modules?

Best regards,
    Mariusz

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Visual Studio 2010 Express license mentions nothing about deployment restrictions. It evens mentions that files on REDIST.TXT can be redistributed. And REDIST.TXT lists the merge modules. Where could we get them?
    Friday, March 25, 2011 12:52 PM