none
Change split access database to vb with different data file type RRS feed

• Question

• At work I have an old shared 2003 access database that I want to convert to vb.net with a different data file type instead of access. I could use sql for the data, but, don't know how secure it will be as we don't want general staff members just to be able to open the data. We don't have sql server so there is no option to use that to secure an sql file. Does anyone have any good ideas of the best data format to use, that can be secured - with a password etc.

Any tips on how to go about any of this is welcomed.

Monday, July 8, 2019 9:12 AM

All replies

• I would recommend getting a server based database server for this.  If you cannot use SQL Server I would look at using one of the Open Source options like MySQL, Maria DB, or PostgreSQL etc..

If you want to keep with a file base database you can use SQLite but usually file based don't do really well with people from multiple computers using them.

Monday, July 8, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Sorry for delay in responding, even though I have alerts set, for some reason they are not coming through - so I didn't realise there was a reply on here.

Thank you for your recommendation of a server based system. If we are installing a server based system suppose we could install any of those or maybe even SQL Express. Do any of them have a way to password protect the database file from other people opening it? Some people have to have access to the folder where it will be installed and we would like to ensure the data is protected from someone simply making a copy and taking it elsewhere.

Friday, July 12, 2019 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

Do you want to protect the database file using password?see the following link:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/encrypt-a-database-by-using-a-database-password-12aa0e5c-34c6-4957-af3b-b5f5cfa9a766

Best Regards,

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:09 AM