How to diagnose VS hanging RRS feed

• Question

• VS currently consistently hangs upon the the start of building a UWP store package.

The output windows shows nothing:

I have close all applications except those that I need to post this:

Is there a place where I can find out where it gets stuck.

Hong

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 4:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think that I never had this type of VS hanging until I added Microsoft.AppCenter NuGet packages a few days ago.  I deleted the packages, and I could build UWP store app packages again. Now, the problem is recurring despite that I have NOT reinstalled Microsoft.AppCenter NuGet packages.  I wonder if Microsoft.AppCenter NuGet packages' installation was a coincidence, not the cause of the hanging.  

Hong

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:13 PM
  • Hi Hong,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

What the version of the Microsoft.AppCenter nuget? It seems that when you installed the nuget pckage and then build, it will crash with no response. Not sure whether it is caused by this package. in this respect, you can recreate a project and try to build with it and then without it to check whether it is about the package.

In my side, l have created a default C# UWP application and then install the package Microsoft.AppCenter 2.4.0-preview, then l built the application without any error.

>>You can create a default UWP application with the nuget package comparing with your developing application with the nuget package to check whether it is your project issue or VS.

Maybe you can try these steps to troubleshoot:

1. delete .vs folder under your physical path of your solution

2. delete files under the path "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp" and "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_xxxx"

3. use MSBuild command line to build your project 

>>You can use the devenv /log to log all activity to the log file for troubleshooting. And the file location is under the path %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<Version>\ActivityLog.xml.

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:17 AM
  • You can use Process Explorer to find the current call stack in Visual Studio when it hangs from the DevEnv.exe process Properties - Threads tab.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Innovative Visual Studio extensions and tools

Saturday, October 26, 2019 3:56 AM
  • Thank you all for the tips that I will use next time when I have a similar issue.

I finally found the cause of this problem.   When I was trying to build the package, the active configuration was Debug.  This usually is not a problem. I think VS was trying to switch to Release configuration first, and got hang there.  If I switch the active configuration to Release first, the build will be fine.

Hong

Saturday, October 26, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Hi Hong,

Congratulations on your success in solving your problem. We are glad to hear that. If you encounter similar problems in the future, please timely feedback to us so that we can help you answer.

>>Do not forget to mark your reply as answer since it is solved so that it will help other community members handle similar issues.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 28, 2019 2:54 AM