none
WorkItem web access pages BLANK after TFS 2017 U1 migration

Question

•  I have an in-place migration to TFS 2017 U1 from TFS 2015 Update 3 in an isolated customer network.
    When navigating to any work item in the Web Access Portal, all content is blank!

Looking through the page Console log I see a blocking script error, which points to a custom control extension installed when this instance was at TFS 2013 level:
    "Script error for: /tfs/_plugins/2088/CodePlex.WitCustomControls.MultiValueControl  http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#scripterror"

Console output (and Response data) stops being transferred after that line, and the DOM loads mostly empty.

Not surprisingly, the Extensions page does not show this extension as being installed on 2017, so I am thinking its configuration is buried in the migrated configuration somewhere.

The CodePlex page for that project (https://witcustomcontrols.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Multivalue%20control&referringTitle=Home) documents the controls payload (MultiValueControl.wicc, and CodePlex.WitCustomControls.dll) but since this instance was migrated off its original image and never re-installed (as  a "Legacy Extension" under 2015) it does not surprise me to that I can't find the files on the new instance file system.

I suspect this broken reference may be why the WorkItem templates are returning empty, although that seems very brittle.
    Any ideas where/how I can find and remove this reference from the 2017 U1 instance and confirm this?

Thanks for reading, and any ideas you may have!

Paully

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi PGH,

To upload the old type extension, click the Setting button-->Choose Sever Settings

Choose Legacy extensions then install.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PaulHeck Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:20 AM

All replies

• hi Paul,

please read the release notes for TFS 2017 Update 1 and the section "Known issues".

Work item forms do not render correctly

• Issue:

If you use a legacy custom control in your work item forms, such as the legacy multi-value control, your work item forms may fail to render.

• Workaround:

You will need to update to the latest version of your control. You can find the latest multi-value control for TFS 2017 Update 1 here. You will also need to disable bundling by running the following on your Configuration database: EXEC prc_SetRegistryValue @partitionId = 1, @KEY = N'#\Configuration\WebAccess\BundlingMode\', @value = N'FALSE', @identityName = NULL

Please use "Mark as Answer" if my post solved your problem and use "Vote As Helpful" if a post was useful.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:45 PM
  • Good catch Daniel: I obviously overlooked that paragraph ;\

However, I cannot find a way to upload the extension .zip archive to the TFS 2017 server "Manage Extensions" page, rather than installing via .vsix (the MultiControl project has only released the zip format "installer").

I am tracking a related user-discussion on the project page [https://witcustomcontrols.codeplex.com/workitem/43532] having to do with manual updating of the extension, as no "Upload new extension" button appears on the Manage Extensions Page, as depicted in [https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/marketplace/get-tfs-extensions#install-extensions-for-disconnected-tfs], despite my membership in TF Administrators group with Edit instance-level information permissions for the TF Server.

Thanks for the pointer though, and lmk if you have any thoughts around support for manual extension configuration in TSF 2017 - I can't find any!

PGH

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:38 PM
  • Hi PGH,

To upload the old type extension, click the Setting button-->Choose Sever Settings

Choose Legacy extensions then install.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PaulHeck Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:20 AM