none
Problem Adding External DLL to VB .NET project

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to add an external DLL to a Visual Studio VB .NET project. I can't use the 'Add Reference' option because it is not available. It's not available because I am using another tool embedded in VS called Rational Function Tester. Anyway, I am trying to add a reference using the 'Object Browser'. I have added the DLL and it appears in the list of objects along with ADODB and other standard libraries. The problem is that when I try to add the DLL using 'Imports' it doesn't appear in the list of available DLLs. Can anyone tell me why this happens?

/John

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:56 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

if the Rational Function Tester hooks into the reference section of project properties, I guess that ths tool will provide some way to add new references. Otherwise you won't be able to use some stuff of .Net framework since not all the .Net libraries are included into every project.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you further. I don't know anything about the Rational product - I even heard of it before.

regards

Philipp

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Yes, you're correct Philipp it does. You drop the DLL into a customization folder. This is not ideal though, as that folder has to be located locally. Thanks for your help

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

right click you project in the Solution Explorer and choose properties from the context menu. In the project properties there is a tab called References where you add new libraries.

regards

Philipp

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:01 PM
  • Hi Philipp,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have those options when I select Project Properties. I only have properties related to Rational Function Tester.

/John

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:16 PM
  • Hi John,

if the Rational Function Tester hooks into the reference section of project properties, I guess that ths tool will provide some way to add new references. Otherwise you won't be able to use some stuff of .Net framework since not all the .Net libraries are included into every project.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you further. I don't know anything about the Rational product - I even heard of it before.

regards

Philipp

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Yes, you're correct Philipp it does. You drop the DLL into a customization folder. This is not ideal though, as that folder has to be located locally. Thanks for your help

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:26 PM