none
What is MS doing to us ? RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly from my desktop I was talking to John Oliver. I've never talked to john before but I did today. This forum is our only connection.

this is what the convo looked like....with john's permission:

Here it is.....what gives?

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi ALL,

So here I am too and Renee and I are wondering "what gives" between WINDOWS systems?

I am on Windows 8.1 Professional 64 bit edition.

I can not see any sign of a MESSENGER of other CHAT CLIENT under "Processes" or "Services"

under TASK MANAGER.

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7

App Hub for Windows Phone & XBOX 360 developers.

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:25 AM
  • This is a Win 7 Ultimate Extreme that I am on....

I am glad that I captured our convo because it borders on the psychotic.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:32 AM
  • Hi ALL,

So here I am too and Renee and I are wondering "what gives" between WINDOWS systems?

I am on Windows 8.1 Professional 64 bit edition.

I can not see any sign of a MESSNGER of other CHAT CLIENT under "Processes" or "Services"

under TASK MANAGER.

Regards,

profile for John Anthony Oliver at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Click this link to see the NEW way of how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Isn't there VB code that can get the process ID and Name of the process or window in focus on the desktop or something? In order to provide an answer or something?

La vida loca

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:52 AM
  • This is a Win 7 Ultimate Extreme that I am on....

I am glad that I captured our convo because it borders on the psychotic.

Renee

The convo borders on psychotic? In what fashion? I can't see all of the convo. Plus I'm watching the movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster in it which is using a large part of my tasking right now. And I'm not conscious multitasking capable although I can chew gum and breathe at the same time.

La vida loca

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:54 AM

• Isn't there VB code that can get the process ID and Name of the process or window in focus on the desktop or something? In order to provide an answer or something?

La vida loca

Hi Mr.Monkeyboy,

Probably but if I've ever come across it I have forgotten how.  LOL!!

Regards,

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:54 AM
  • Of course there is....

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:57 AM
  • Getprocessbyid(PID)

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:24 AM
  • So the window that you posted just appeared and neither you nor John Oliver initiated it ?

Is it still there or can you get it back ?

here is code to get window titles and executable names

For Each p As Process In Process.GetProcesses
                Try
                    TextBox1.AppendText(p.MainWindowTitle & " - " & p.MainModule.FileName & vbNewLine)
                Catch
                End Try
            Next

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:31 AM
  • We are still on it.....

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:36 AM

• "MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:40 AM
  • Has anyone ever seen this application before? If so...what is it? How is it evoked?

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:42 AM
  • If you are saying that just popped up then it is indeed odd.  It would freak me out.  However this is not the place for this conversation, though I am unsure where would be a good place.  It definitely should be reported as bug to MS.

"Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." JohnWein

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:50 AM

• "MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me

I don't know. But I just attempted to sign into Windows Live Messenger. It then told me it had to download a new version. The new version when I went to install it asked if I wanted to install it since I have a newer version of Skype installed on my PC already. So I'm going to guess that Windows Live Messenger now uses Skype in some format. And that the app you are showing is something to do with instant messaging via skype somehow.

Messenger has moved to Skype

La vida loca

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:53 AM
  • As far as I know...I've totally avoided Skype.

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:13 AM
  • I do have something to add. Within the last few days I've bought and downloaded Trillian so I could talk to Paul. I doubt that's related but that was the only messenger like software that I've downloaded,

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Hi ALL,

Just so you know I do not see a similar window on Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

It looks like "MESSENGER" is integrated into outlook.com

I would say this is a "kind of" answer.

See my screenshots.

>>

Regards,

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:29 AM
  • Mr MonkeyBoy....from that I'd guess that you are running XP?

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:31 AM
  • This was a comment by john before he went to bed:

"John Oliver: It looks like MESSENGER is integrated into outlook.com for Microsoft email accounts.

John Oliver: I'm signing out you should now see me disappear and the WINDOW may close?"

For the record, it didn't close and I do not use an MS mail account I use Gmail. I do use Outlook for email.

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 2:37 AM
  • If you google "trillian screenshots" - you will see that they are identical to what you showed.

http://www.zwodnik.com/software/windows/trillian/

• Marked as answer by Renee Culver Monday, April 28, 2014 4:08 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 2:40 AM
  • Close!!! Although I dont know yet whether you win a cigar. I may as well say you are the answerer though.

Thank you,

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 4:08 AM
  • Hi Renee,

I am glad you have an answer on this. :-)

I had not heard of Trillian before this question was raised.

Regards,

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:37 PM
  • I've heard of it obviously, but have had no way to test it. Paul is taking care of personal issues. Ordinarily he would be the one I would test with.

Renee

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:44 PM