none
Visual Studio Extension 2005 upgradation to Visual Studio 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project which builds a custom tool menu item in Visual Studio i.e an extension add-in project to visual Studio 2005.

Now I need to upgrade this project so that it should behave as plugin/extension for VS2017.

My first question is, Do we have possibility to upgrade this project type from Vs2005 to Vs2017 extension. I did little bit of google and I can see every blog saying to play with VSIX project type to build an extension. But in VS2005 days such extension project doesnt exist.(This is my guess)

2) I tried to upgrade the project some how and building installer. But after installation I cannot see any plugin visibility in tool bar to Vs2017 , which is expected.

Please give your inputs and it will be great if any solution do exist

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to the description, this issue is about the VS extension development and our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, I will help you move this thread to the appropriate forum for better support, thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:30 AM
  • It's not possible to automatically upgrade from a VS 2015 add-in to a VS 2017 extension.

Can you roughly describe functionality of your add-in? If it is relatively simple, you can use my Visual Commander extension to do all VS 2017 integration and just copy core code.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Innovative Visual Studio extensions and tools

Thursday, May 30, 2019 3:12 AM
  • Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>But in VS2005 days such extension project doesnt exist.(This is my guess)

Starting in Visual Studio 2015, for C# and Visual Basic projects, you can use the VSIX project and add item templates for menu commands, tool windows, and VSPackages. 

And an add-in project can't be converted directly to a VSIX project because the mechanisms used in VSIX projects are not the same as the ones in add-in projects.

>> But after installation I cannot see any plugin visibility in tool bar to Vs2017 , which is expected.

As mentioned above, the add-in and VSIX projects use different technology. So your plugin can't work for VS2017. 

And it seems your add-in is for a Tool Bar, you can create new-format ToolBar extension template(Create a new VSIX project, add an corresponding Item Template) and copy your core code into it. Then the extension could work for VS2017.

Some related topics: Add Commands to ToolBars

More details about how to convert add-in to VSIX projects see this document.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 5:26 AM