none
Chnage Help Language RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have installed Visual Studio 2012 EN-US.

But i need to install Help content in Russian.

I try to run Help viewer with /locale ru-ru key and succesfully installed russen help, but it cannot be displayed in Visual Studio.

• Moved by Forrest GuoModerator Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:43 PM forums restructure (From:Developer Documentation and Help System)
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:28 PM

All replies

• You should be able to tell the Help Viewer to load from a different location by changing the registry settings under...

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Help\v2.0

or 64bit Windows 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Help\v2.0

notice all the 'en-US' strings. Change these to 'ru-RU' and of course make sure all paths are valid.

Let us know how you get on.

Rob

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Monday, December 17, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Hello,

When you say you cannot display the Russian help in Visual Studio are you talking about a View help and/or F1?

If so we will use the language that Visual Studio is using.  To get Russian help showing up from a F1, you will need to install the Russian language pack and change the IDE's language to Russian. 

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:37 PM
  • I downloaded French and Japanese. 

Selecting French (in Options) I'm now seeing French and English offline content available.

And I see the registry now reflects the new language installed

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:07 AM
  • Very cool Jason. Can I have En UI but have F1/help pointing to say French help. Which would be nice for developers.

I see if I select non-Eng UI, the Eng offline help is always included. That's helpful.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:13 AM
  • eHello,

When you say you cannot display the Russian help in Visual Studio are you talking about a View help and/or F1?

If so we will use the language that Visual Studio is using.  To get Russian help showing up from a F1, you will need to install the Russian language pack and change the IDE's language to Russian. 

I need English GUI and Russian help. I install russian LP and after that can install russian help. But when i switch to english lang i can't see russian help.

I replace SeedFilePath key in VisualStudio11\en-US registry node by 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Help Viewer\v2.0\CatalogInfo\VS11_ru-ru.cab

and it doesn't helped me.

And when i switch to Russian GUI lang, i cant install english help(it doesn't displayed).

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:19 AM
  • Unfortunately we do not have a separate language control in the help viewer.  The language you use in the IDE is the one we assume should show for help.  You could create a ru-ru shortcut and launch help using that however F1 will not target that viewer so the help experience would be diminished although could be better than your current one.

I am a little concerned however when you say you don't see English help when you switch to Russian.  Are you not seeing what Rob sees where you have the book both as a Russian option and again with "- English"?  Depending upon the locale of your operating system the "- English" could be different.  We display the operating system's version of this string so if you are on a Russian OS this will be in Cyrillic.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Unfortunately we do not have a separate language control in the help viewer.  

It's a pity) Please make it as Feature Request.

Yes, you are right!

When Rob switch to French GUI, he can install both English and French content, but when i switch to Russian, i can install only russian content.

I have Russian operating system's language (not a LIP).

PS. It was possible after some tricks in Help Viewer 1 (Russian help in VS 2010)
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Interesting if I read this correctly you are taking the Russian content modifying the msha file to call it en-us content and therefore installing it into the English store.  I imagine this has some strange side effects with the index and search since we would be loading the English sorting and word breaker.  I can't say I recommend this in general since there is a chance that the logic would cause failures.  These would most likely manifest as the UI not showing content that was on the machine.

More interesting to me is that when you have Russian on your system you are not seeing a mix of Russian and English.  Can you open the Viewer options page (ctrl + o) and verify the "Include English content in all navigation tabs and F1 requests" check box is selected?  If that is checked I would expect that you see a mix of English and Russian.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Hi Jason oh that'a a pitty. I'll talk to you offline about a solution.

TheXby here is my Russion loaded... See the English options.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:36 AM
  • Jason, Rob,

Thanks for yours time. I'm forget about this option and it helped me.

Interesting if I read this correctly you are taking the Russian content modifying the msha file to call it en-us content and therefore installing it into the English store.  I imagine this has some strange side effects with the index and search since we would be loading the English sorting and word breaker.  I can't say I recommend this in general since there is a chance that the logic would cause failures.  These would most likely manifest as the UI not showing content that was on the machine.

I'm not using this solution for VS 2012. It's only for 2010.

oK, I think we can stop our discussion until "Change help language" option will implemented.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Thanks TheXby. I learnt a lot from your thread (and thanks Jason). 

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Hi TheXby I wrote a simple utility that when you run it, it sits between VS 11 and the Help Viewer.

It allows you to redirect the help call to a different language.

Please ping me if you want to try it. -- /support /@ helpware /.net

--

BTW I'm pleased to see that this open thread has been maintained in the new location (in VS General).

Monday, December 24, 2012 6:52 AM
  • OK the application is up. It was fun to do.

When you run the app all F1 help gets diverted to the app so you have a chance to change the final help locale. When you close the app and restart VS11 the F1 returns to normal.

http://hv2.helpmvp.com/blog/vs11helpdebug/

Monday, December 24, 2012 1:29 PM