none
DATETIMEPICKER CHANGE TEXT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

i'm using a DatetimePicker and I would like to change the its value as it was a textbox, i.e. without clicking on day then on month then on year

Is it possible

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 5:32 PM

Answers

• i'm not using a textbox. I use the DTP

I would be able to change DTP value without clicking 3 times 

That is the nature of the DateTimePicker.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by Claudio111 Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hi

Then why use a DTP if you want to enter the DateTime via a TextBox? The whole point of using as DTP is to deal directly with the DateTime parts.

You could just replace the DTP with a TextBox and deal with the verification/formatting yourself, but a lot of code for little gain.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 5:50 PM
  • There is always the MaskedTextBox as shown below from this page.

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Me.MaskedTextBox1.Mask = "00/00/0000"
        Me.MaskedTextBox1.ValidatingType = GetType(System.DateTime)

Me.ToolTip1.IsBalloon = True
    End Sub

Private Sub MaskedTextBox1_TypeValidationCompleted(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As TypeValidationEventArgs) Handles MaskedTextBox1.TypeValidationCompleted
        If (Not e.IsValidInput) Then
            Me.ToolTip1.ToolTipTitle = "Invalid Date"
            Me.ToolTip1.Show("The data you supplied must be a valid date in the format mm/dd/yyyy.", Me.MaskedTextBox1, 0, -20, 5000)
        Else
            ' Now that the type has passed basic type validation, enforce more specific type rules.
            Dim UserDate As DateTime = CDate(e.ReturnValue)
            If (UserDate < DateTime.Now) Then
                Me.ToolTip1.ToolTipTitle = "Invalid Date"
                Me.ToolTip1.Show("The date in this field must be greater than today's date.", Me.MaskedTextBox1, 0, -20, 5000)
                e.Cancel = True
            End If
        End If
    End Sub

' Hide the tooltip if the user starts typing again before the five-second display limit on the tooltip expires.
    Private Sub MaskedTextBox1_KeyDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As KeyEventArgs) Handles MaskedTextBox1.KeyDown
        Me.ToolTip1.Hide(Me.MaskedTextBox1)
    End Sub

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by Claudio111 Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Claudio111 Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 5:54 PM
  • Hi all

i'm using a DatetimePicker and I would like to change the its value as it was a textbox, i.e. without clicking on day then on month then on year

Is it possible

Can't you use DateTimePicker.Value ?

like for example

DatetimePicker.Value = New DateTime(2017, 10, 16)

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:12 PM

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:22 PM

That is the nature of the DateTimePicker.

VB Forums - moderator

• Marked as answer by Claudio111 Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:24 PM

Hi

Use the drop down calendar - that is what it is for!

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:39 PM
  • No   

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:03 PM
  • No   

Success
    Cor

Which?

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:04 PM
  • It is not possible to use the DateTimePicker as it was a textbox to enter a date. That was the question and I thought I gave the only possible answer. 

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:11 PM
  • You could just use an InputBox or make your own input form to show:

Private Sub DateTimePicker1_MouseDown(sender As Object, e As MouseEventArgs) Handles DateTimePicker1.MouseDown
        Dim dateText = InputBox("Enter a date:", "Set Date", DateTimePicker1.Value.ToShortDateString)
        If Not Date.TryParse(dateText, DateTimePicker1.Value) Then
            MessageBox.Show("The text provided could not be interpreted as a date", "Invalid Date Value",
                            MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
        End If
    End Sub

But as Cor said, there is no way to do it with just the DateTimePicker's default functionality.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:15 PM
  • Hi all

Is it possible

If the user enters two digits for month and day, and four for year this will produce the desired result I believe.

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Shown(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Shown
            DateTimePicker1.CustomFormat = "MM/dd/yyyy"
            DateTimePicker1.Format = DateTimePickerFormat.Custom

End Sub

Private Sub DateTimePicker1_ValueChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles DateTimePicker1.ValueChanged
            SendKeys.Send(".")
        End Sub
    End Class

"Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it."

- from former MSDN User JohnWein

SerialPort Info

Multics - An OS ahead of its time.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:08 PM
  • Hi all

Is it possible

I don't believe you could create a custom control inheriting DateTimePicker and perform that. Nor does it make sense really.

La vida loca

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:24 PM
  • i'm using a DatetimePicker and I would like to change the its value as it was a textbox, i.e. without clicking on day then on month then on year

Is it possible

It can be done with the DTS_APPCANPARSE style

• Edited by Castorix31 Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:39 PM