none
Cannot run or debug tests when loading TRX in VS2012 from Test Results window RRS feed

• Question

• I am running unit tests against our products on a nightly basis in VS2010 and this works really well. I would like to switch over to 2012, but I've noticed that if I load a TRX into the Test Results window in 2012, the options to Run, Debug, and Open tests from this list are disabled. I understand that Microsoft wants us to move to the Text Explorer instead, which I have not played around with much, but why would this window still be available to load TRX files if you can't do anything with them? There isn't an option to make a playlist from failed tests, either.

I will also note that I have only been running our unit tests (which pre-date me) for 3 months and I'm open to new ideas of running these. The downside is our tests number 15,000+

Friday, April 5, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Arcturus117,

Actually we could use the Test Results window to debug/run web/load test or get the results for them when we run them in VS2012 IDE. For unit/coded UI tests, we often run them in the Test Explorer window in VS2012 IDE. In addition, the test list has been removed in VS2012.

I try to get the .trx file for the unit tests(they are not in the test list in VS2010) in command line with MSTest in VS2012, and then I import the test result .trx file to the Test Results Window, and I could still run/debug the unit test there like the following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Jack,

I tried running a subset of tests through mstest to get a TRX file and loaded that into VS2012. I was able to see the results, however only Run/Debug Deployed Checked Tests were available. After selecting one of those options, all other options from the Run and Debug controls were available. I was also able to open to test from the test results window. I then unloaded and reloaded the TRX to get to the original state where these options were unavailable - now they are turned on before running any tests with a loaded TRX. I tried this with a TRX that was produced from VS2010 and I was again able to select all options.

Is it possible that this is a bug, where Run/Debug Deployed Checked Tests must be selected once to enable these options, or could I be missing a crucial setting somewhere?

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Hi Arcturus117,

Maybe you could share me a screen shot about your result as my previous reply.

But if you don’t select the tests you want to debug/run, some options aren’t available.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Hi 

I am exporting trx file in vsts but Run the checked button is coming disabled.

M i missing any seeting here ? 

Friday, July 12, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Hi Rippal,

Since this case was closed for a long time, would you mind opening a new case? We will follow up your issue in time.

Have a nice day,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 12, 2019 9:29 AM