Shockwave Flash or AxWebBrowser not in "Choose Toolbox Items" RRS feed

• Question

• I need to embed/play a flash object (swf) in an app created in Visual Studio.

For this, so far I can only find the options explained in:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/511d8bb4-3674-4717-9bd9-71cfc5d921e5/how-do-i-embedplay-a-flash-file-swf-on-winform?forum=vbgeneral

But I can't try either of those because both components needed ( Shockwave Flash or AxWebBrowser ) are not listed in my "Choose Toolbox Items"

I use Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows in 64-bit

I tried reinstalling Flash and didn't work.

I have also tried this and also didn't help: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a80a4ca1-bae6-4888-9896-244c01aab79a/always-get-errors-when-trying-to-use-axshockwave-flash?forum=vbgeneral

Please, help! Does anybody know how to fix this?

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Localu,

Glad to receive your reply.

>> It exports my project to create a windows 8.1 app. It is .sln and inside it there's .jsproj files for example.

As you said that there's .jsproj files, it seems that the project is a JavaScript Windows Store app project in your VS Express 2013 for Windows.

In addition, since you did not see the COM Components tab in your Choose toolbox items Windows in your VS Express 2013 for Windows. To make sure if the issue is related to the VS IDE or your .jsproj project, I suggest you try to re-create a new JavaScript Windows Store app project (windows 8.1 app) and then open the Choose toolbox items Windows check if you can see the COM Components tab.

If you still could not see the COM Components tab, I doubt the issue is related to your VS IDE. Therefore, I suggest you can try to repair or re-install your VS Express 2013 for Windows check if you see the COM Components tab.

If you could see the COM Components tab in new JavaScript Windows Store app project, I doubt that the issue may be related to your JavaScript Windows Store app project. So I suggest you can refer the original JavaScript Windows Store app project to re-create a new JavaScript Windows Store app project in new solution.

Hope it help you!

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by localu Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by localu Sunday, December 14, 2014 9:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Friday, December 19, 2014 2:44 AM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

I tried first repairing my Visual Studio, and nothing changed, I couldn´t see the COM tab in any project.
    So I uninstalled Visual Studio and reinstalled it again (this time Visual Studio Community 2013) and now I see the COM tab and several others I didn´t see before.

Thank you for your help. And I hope this saves time from someone else who might face the same problem (I spent days trying to figure out what to do!)

• Marked as answer by localu Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:43 AM
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Hi Localu,

According to your description, I discuss this issue with Windows Store App experts. I know that we could not add the Shockwave Flash or AxWebBrowser control from the COM Components tab to Toolbox for the JavaScript Windows Store app project.

Generally, if you want to add a control in the html page for a JavaScript Windows Store app project, you can add the control using <div data-win-control="ControlName"></div> formate.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465453.aspx

In addition, when we add a control from the COM Components tab, it is mainly used for the designer window such as winform/ asp.net/ wpf etc.

Since this forum is discuss the VS IDE issue, if you want to know more about the control for JavaScript Windows Store app project, I suggest you can consult the issue directly to Windows Store App forum, it will be better support this issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Tina-Shi Friday, December 19, 2014 2:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Friday, December 19, 2014 2:47 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 6:33 AM

All replies

• I need to embed/play a flash object (swf) in an app created in Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows in 64-bit

For this, so far I can only find the options explained in:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/511d8bb4-3674-4717-9bd9-71cfc5d921e5/how-do-i-embedplay-a-flash-file-swf-on-winform?forum=vbgeneral

Does anybody know any other way to do it?
    • Merged by Tina-Shi Friday, December 12, 2014 5:59 AM since the issue is samilar
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:45 AM
  • Hi Localu,

>> But I can't try either of those because both components needed (Shockwave Flash or AxWebBrowser ) are not listed in my "Choose Toolbox Items"

Based on your issue, could you please tell me which kind of app you create, WinForm or others?

If create a WinForm app in VS Express 2013, generally, the Shockwave Flash or AxWebBrowser components will not display by default in Toolbox Items. You will need to add the two components from COM Components tab by Right click Toolbox -> Click "Choose Items", in COM Components tab, choose Shockwave Flash Object and Microsoft Web Browser Object, then you can see the two control in the Toolbox.

Reference:

Best Regards,

Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:54 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

I don't see the same as you in my Choose toolbox items, that's the problem. I don't have the COM Components tab, I only have two tabs that list components, and these two that I need are not there. I made a screenshot to show you but I can't post it I'm told.

I don't know what kind of app it is, I'm sorry! Where do I look? It is an app that comes from a project from other program, it exports my project to create a windows 8.1 app. It is .sln and inside it there's .jsproj files for example.

I appreciate your help

Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Hi localu,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Based on your issue, since this forum is discuss the VS IDE issue. I think that the issue is more related to the programming, to help you find the correct forum.

Could you please tell me which kind of app you create?

What programming language you create, VB or others language?

Best Regards,

Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:02 AM
  • I'm sorry, I don't know what program language it is, its made in other program in html5 and exported  as .sln to publish in windows 8.1
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Hi Localu,

>> It exports my project to create a windows 8.1 app. It is .sln and inside it there's .jsproj files for example.

As you said that there's .jsproj files, it seems that the project is a JavaScript Windows Store app project in your VS Express 2013 for Windows.

In addition, since you did not see the COM Components tab in your Choose toolbox items Windows in your VS Express 2013 for Windows. To make sure if the issue is related to the VS IDE or your .jsproj project, I suggest you try to re-create a new JavaScript Windows Store app project (windows 8.1 app) and then open the Choose toolbox items Windows check if you can see the COM Components tab.

If you still could not see the COM Components tab, I doubt the issue is related to your VS IDE. Therefore, I suggest you can try to repair or re-install your VS Express 2013 for Windows check if you see the COM Components tab.

If you could see the COM Components tab in new JavaScript Windows Store app project, I doubt that the issue may be related to your JavaScript Windows Store app project. So I suggest you can refer the original JavaScript Windows Store app project to re-create a new JavaScript Windows Store app project in new solution.

Hope it help you!

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by localu Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:44 AM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 2:36 AM
  • Hi,

I tried first repairing my Visual Studio, and nothing changed, I couldn´t see the COM tab in any project.
    So I uninstalled Visual Studio and reinstalled it again (this time Visual Studio Community 2013) and now I see the COM tab and several others I didn´t see before.

Thank you for your help. And I hope this saves time from someone else who might face the same problem (I spent days trying to figure out what to do!)

• Marked as answer by localu Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:43 AM
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Now I'm having another problem: I added the shockwave and web browser tools to my toolbox, they are under "general" but they are grayed out, I can't select them or use them!
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 1:13 PM
  • Hi Localu,

According to your description, I discuss this issue with Windows Store App experts. I know that we could not add the Shockwave Flash or AxWebBrowser control from the COM Components tab to Toolbox for the JavaScript Windows Store app project.

Generally, if you want to add a control in the html page for a JavaScript Windows Store app project, you can add the control using <div data-win-control="ControlName"></div> formate.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465453.aspx

In addition, when we add a control from the COM Components tab, it is mainly used for the designer window such as winform/ asp.net/ wpf etc.

Since this forum is discuss the VS IDE issue, if you want to know more about the control for JavaScript Windows Store app project, I suggest you can consult the issue directly to Windows Store App forum, it will be better support this issue.

Best Regards,

• Edited by Tina-Shi Friday, December 19, 2014 2:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Friday, December 19, 2014 2:47 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 6:33 AM