How do you link a button to open a form in ms visual studio 11 developer preview (visual basic)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, I am developing a next gen App for my Email Client for future Windows 8 users. Now when i used to use Visual Studio (Visual Basic) 2008 to develop for Windows 7, I used the command "FORMNAME.show()" And that command would open the form.

The Problem i am having now is that "SHOW" is not included and im guessing that there has to be another way to do this. For the Beta version of my app, i created a test Button that i want to open a "SplitPage1" the button is called " btnOpen" Does anybody know how i link btnOpen to open the the SplitPage1.

Now to give you an idea what i wanna do, i made buttons on the top right hand corner that are called "File , Edit , View" and so on, and when the user clicks file, i want a spiltpage to open with all the options the user would regularly have when clicking file on a menu tab in a program. the options would be lined up on the left hand side when you hover over lets say "New Email" on the right hand side there will be a short description that will appear saying "create a new email to send" and when clicked on it will take the user back to the mainPage and it redirect the browser to "SendnewEmail url".

I know its stupid that i am asking how to open a new page, but i research for hours and im pretty sure that i am not using the right terms in my search so if someone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Ellie Kassouf,

Hey guys, I am developing a next gen App for my Email Client for future Windows 8 users. Now when i used to use Visual Studio (Visual Basic) 2008 to develop for Windows 7, I used the command "FORMNAME.show()" And that command would open the form.

The Problem i am having now is that "SHOW" is not included and im guessing that there has to be another way to do this. For the Beta version of my app, i created a test Button that i want to open a "SplitPage1" the button is called " btnOpen" Does anybody know how i link btnOpen to open the the SplitPage1.

Now to give you an idea what i wanna do, i made buttons on the top right hand corner that are called "File , Edit , View" and so on, and when the user clicks file, i want a spiltpage to open with all the options the user would regularly have when clicking file on a menu tab in a program. the options would be lined up on the left hand side when you hover over lets say "New Email" on the right hand side there will be a short description that will appear saying "create a new email to send" and when clicked on it will take the user back to the mainPage and it redirect the browser to "SendnewEmail url".

I know its stupid that i am asking how to open a new page, but i research for hours and im pretty sure that i am not using the right terms in my search so if someone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Msdn Forums, below are some examples using VisualStudio 11, see the following link.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Windows-Developer-Preview-6b53adbb

Regards.

Friday, January 13, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Could I please get and actual example from you because I've been looking at this stuff all day and posting my question was the very last resort i had..
    Elie Kassouf
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Hi Elie,

Do you develop a Metro Style App in Win 8? If it is, please post your question on the Metro Style App Development Forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winappswithcsharp/threads

And for Metro Style App, if you want to navigate to one Page, please refer to this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithcsharp/thread/8a2f5982-7910-4308-9e6e-17ca30dfeb78

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Proposed as answer by Carmelo La Monica Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jie Bao Monday, January 23, 2012 9:20 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:50 AM