none
Move buffer (current document) to bottom of "stack"? RRS feed

• Question

• I quite often use Ctrl+Tab to switch between a couple of code files in Visual Studio, and find this very convenient.

However, when I'm done viewing one of these 2 files that are at the "top" of the buffer stack I'd like to be able to move it to the bottom of the stack. (By "top" of the stack I mean that holding Ctrl and pressing Tab just once will display the alternate file, rather than having to hold Ctrl and hit Tab multiple times to "hunt" for the file.)

Emacs has a function called bury-buffer that does exactly this - the doc comment states: "Put buffer at the end of the list of all buffers. There it is the least likely candidate for `other-buffer' to return; thus, the least likely buffer for M-x switch-to-buffer to select by default."

Is there a way to do this in Visual Studio, possibly via a macro?

I'd basically like to be able to press a key and "bury" the current file, such that the previous file is displayed and a subsequent Ctrl+Tab would switch between that file and whatever file was displayed before these top two (i.e., it doesn't bring back the buried file).

Any thoughts/pointers/tips appreciated!

Thanks,

John.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 5:34 PM

Answers

• I'm not aware of any mechanism can let you achieve this. You can try the "Ctrl+Shift+Tab" which will iterate the opened documents from the bottom of the stack to the top. And I suggest that you can selectively use it or "Ctrl+Tab".
    Monday, March 10, 2008 1:26 PM