none
Creating an app for the Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends,

I am trying to develop a to do list app for my windows 10 desktop. I want this app to be visible on the desktop at all times; pretty much behave like a gadget. Is there an API that gives access to the desktop?

If I can't get it to behave like a gadget, I will settle for writing to my to dos to the desktop.

Thanks.

The best things in life are free, but the most valuable ones are costly...use opportunities well for there are others, like you, who deserves them, but don't have them...

Friday, November 18, 2016 8:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it is possible to write apps that behave as gadgets did.

I use two simple WindowsForms apps in this gadget-like-way. Those apps have ControlBox set to false, no Text so that the Titlebar vanishes and a Startposition type Manual with setting the location to the top right corner in the Constructor. Also the ShowInTaskbar property is set to false. And I start them per shortcut in the Autostart folder on logon.

You could set the TopMost property to true or false, just as you like...

Regards,

Thorsten

Friday, November 18, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Sounds interesting. I thought of that, but was hoping there is a native support. I work in WPF; so I can definitely achieve it.

Thanks.

The best things in life are free, but the most valuable ones are costly...use opportunities well for there are others, like you, who deserves them, but don't have them...

Saturday, November 19, 2016 12:23 AM
  • You are asking how to make a programm "always on top". I feel obligated to link this article to make certain you know what you are getting yourself into:
    How do I create a topmost window that is never covered by other topmost windows?

You can only put a Window into a position that the Windowing System allows.
    However there are regions of the desktop that are in front of the windowing system (for drawing and display purposes). Stuff like Notifications or the Windows On Screen Keyboard. Applications that can run there/send stuff there usually suffer from very strong limits in what they can do otherwise. Most likely it can not be done at all.

If there is no Gadget Bar to use, then you are out of luck.
    As you programm for Windows 10 and WPF, you might want to look into UWP Apps (basically the .NET Core brother of WPF). They might just have the thing you want (it should be a common requirement for Apps), but it is not my area of expertise.

Remember to mark helpfull answers as helpfull and close threads by marking answers.

Saturday, November 19, 2016 2:01 AM
  • You are asking how to make a programm "always on top".

Hi Christopher,

In my opinion there's no need for the app to be always topmost. The Vista/Win7 gadgets also weren't. You were able to drag windows "over" those gadgets and bring them on top with a mouseclick just as "normal" windows.

Regards,

Thorsten

Saturday, November 19, 2016 4:14 PM