none
When adding existing test cases to a future test plan it is duplicating the test cases in the suite RRS feed

• Question

• When creating a future Test plan in TFS/Azure DevOps we are seeing the test cases duplicate when adding an existing test. This behavior is relatively new within the past 2-3 weeks. We have not changed our process and this does not occur when adding an existing test case to a current or past test plan. 

Steps to reproduce:

• Add a new Test Plan with Area Path and Iteration for a future date
    • Open new Test Plan and add a suite
    • Highlight suite and click on Add Existing test plan
    • Chose workitem type test case, Area Path, Id
    • Run Query, highlight test case and click Add test case

Should result in just one test case being added as it has previously and how it does when in the current Test Plan, however it is listing in the grid the same test case twice. Only solve right now is to list of the the duplicates as N/A because if we try to remove one it removes both since the have the same ID. This is resulting in a test suite having twice as many test cases in it as needed.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephanie,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Thank you for sharing us with detailed steps to reproduce and follow these steps I add a new test plan and several Test Suites then click on “Add Existing test plan” and choose the corresponding fields then run query and create suites, but it seems work well.

I notice that you said “since the have the same ID”, I consider this might be the key of this issue, As I checked again in the Boards -> items -> ID, there is not any same ID, then I go to create some of the New Work Item(Test Case) and I find the ID is generated by system automatically.

I’m not sure if this issue is caused by system I suggest you could report this potential issue to Azure DevOps product team and if I miss one certain step to reproduce your issue, please feel free to let me know.

BTW, I think your issue is more related to Azure DevOps and since Azure DevOps/TFS forum has been moved to Developer Community forum, I recommend you could go to Developer Community and start a new thread there to seek for a more professional help.  

Hope this could help you.

Sincerely,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 5:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephanie,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Thank you for sharing us with detailed steps to reproduce and follow these steps I add a new test plan and several Test Suites then click on “Add Existing test plan” and choose the corresponding fields then run query and create suites, but it seems work well.

I notice that you said “since the have the same ID”, I consider this might be the key of this issue, As I checked again in the Boards -> items -> ID, there is not any same ID, then I go to create some of the New Work Item(Test Case) and I find the ID is generated by system automatically.

I’m not sure if this issue is caused by system I suggest you could report this potential issue to Azure DevOps product team and if I miss one certain step to reproduce your issue, please feel free to let me know.

BTW, I think your issue is more related to Azure DevOps and since Azure DevOps/TFS forum has been moved to Developer Community forum, I recommend you could go to Developer Community and start a new thread there to seek for a more professional help.  

Hope this could help you.

Sincerely,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 5:22 AM
  • Thank you Tianyu, I was able to find an answer in the Developer Community.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:48 PM
  • Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad to hear that you have found an answer.

BTW, if you have any other questions about Testing with Visual Studio Test Manager(MTM), please feel free to contact us and we will try our best to help you.

Have a nice day : )

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:14 AM