none
System32 files cannot be found RRS feed

• Question

• I built a small app that doesn't do much as of right now but that's not the problem.

When i run it in visual studio 2019 community it runs fine. But when i double click the .exe in the folder it is in it gives three errors:

vccorlib140_app.DLL, MSVCP140_APP.dll, and VCRUNTIME140_APP.dll was not found.

i know i have these files because i went into the Windows/system32 folders and found them. For some reason my executable just cant find them.

i have already tried the fallowing.

Downloading the files online and placing them in the folder.

downloading Microsoft Visual c++ 2015-2019 redistributable (x86).

Uninstalling VS and reinstalling VS.

as of right now i am in the process of repairing VS to see if this helps.

Please help.

Sunday, November 3, 2019 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>1. are you saying if i make a desktop app i can double click the .exe and it WILL run.

The desktop app which could be double-clicked to run, is like WPF or windows form. You could check them under desktop and windows tags in visual studio.

>>2. Can i build a desktop app using xaml or is xaml only for UWP store apps.

The UWP  store app and "desktop apps" are in different frameworks. So I'm afraid not, but the wpf could develop with xaml.

>>3. what is the difference between a store app and a desktop app.

You could refer here to view their differences.

>>4. How do i run the store app that i have right now? Can i only run this through VS?

You could deploy it in visual studio, then open it without VS in start menu.                            

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, November 4, 2019 9:08 AM

All replies

• You have those files in System32? That is interesting. Since the xxx_app.dll libraries are the UWP runtime libraries and they don't get installed in the system directories (System32 or SysWOW64).

See how there are no _app versions of these libraries here? These files only exist under C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_<version>_<platform>__8wekyb3d8bbwe where version and platform depend on the version of the VC libs and what platform the app is compiled for.

What's more, when I build an application that can be run by double clicking on the file in explorer:

C:\Users\Darran\source\repos\meh\x64\Release>dumpbin /imports meh.exe | find ".dll"
        KERNEL32.dll
        VCRUNTIME140.dll
        api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0.dll
        api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
        api-ms-win-crt-math-l1-1-0.dll
        api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll
        api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll

This is the list of DLLs that it depends on, notice how it depends on VCRuntime140.dll, not VCRuntime140_APP.dll? What this means is that you are building a Windows Store application and trying to run it as a desktop application. This is not supported and you must create the project as a Windows Desktop application for it to run by double clicking on it.

Also one final thing. The on an x64 system, the System32 directory is for the 64 bit libraries. If you had installed the x86 version of the VC redistributable then they would have been installed into the SysWOW64 directory on a 64 bit system.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Edited by Darran Rowe Monday, November 4, 2019 12:28 AM
    Monday, November 4, 2019 12:25 AM
  • Ok. Thank you this helped a lot. Forgive my ignorance i am very new to this.

but now i have new questions:

1. are you saying if i make a desktop app i can double click the .exe and it WILL run.

2. Can i build a desktop app using xaml or is xaml only for UWP store apps.

3. what is the difference between a store app and a desktop app.

4. How do i run the store app that i have right now? Can i only run this through VS?

Monday, November 4, 2019 2:21 AM
  • Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>1. are you saying if i make a desktop app i can double click the .exe and it WILL run.

The desktop app which could be double-clicked to run, is like WPF or windows form. You could check them under desktop and windows tags in visual studio.

>>2. Can i build a desktop app using xaml or is xaml only for UWP store apps.

The UWP  store app and "desktop apps" are in different frameworks. So I'm afraid not, but the wpf could develop with xaml.

>>3. what is the difference between a store app and a desktop app.

You could refer here to view their differences.

>>4. How do i run the store app that i have right now? Can i only run this through VS?

You could deploy it in visual studio, then open it without VS in start menu.                            

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, November 4, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Thanks friend!

but now for one last question if i may. is it possible to give my app to someone after i deploy it?

Monday, November 4, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Hi friend, 

To share the app to others, you need to package it, then move it to other machine by microsoft store or sideloading. Please refer this document: Package a UWP app with Visual Studio

Best Regards,

Dylan

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 7:45 AM