Root element is missing - Get after receive out of memory message in Vis Studio RRS feed

• Question

• This is very very frustrating. Please help

I was working away happily then re-built solution.

Recieved out of memory message so closed Vis Studio.

On re-opening solution get

Steve

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:22 PM

Answers

• Painful situation, but I don't think there's a recovery situation for this.

Something is wrong in your client or server LSML file (solution explorer, file view, expand properties) and you'll have to manually fix it :(

It's your story - time to switch on the innovation. || About me || LightSwitch blog

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, December 7, 2012 2:47 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 7:51 PM
  • I'd agree with Jan. Somehow in the process, one of your lmsl files appears to have been corrupted. Is it possible to replace them with a copy from recent backup?

If you're not doing regular backs of your LightSwitch applications, then this might be a painful inducer to start doing so. I'd also recommend a back before attempting anything "major". My rule of thumb is when I get to any point where I think "I wouldn't want to have to do that work again", that's the time to take an extra backup. Or before I make any significant modification to any piece of funtionality.

Plus I take a backup each day, before I start work on any project. Of course if you're using Source Code control, then you should be "checking in" your changes frequently.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:57 PM

All replies

• Painful situation, but I don't think there's a recovery situation for this.

Something is wrong in your client or server LSML file (solution explorer, file view, expand properties) and you'll have to manually fix it :(

It's your story - time to switch on the innovation. || About me || LightSwitch blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:51 PM
  • I'd agree with Jan. Somehow in the process, one of your lmsl files appears to have been corrupted. Is it possible to replace them with a copy from recent backup?

If you're not doing regular backs of your LightSwitch applications, then this might be a painful inducer to start doing so. I'd also recommend a back before attempting anything "major". My rule of thumb is when I get to any point where I think "I wouldn't want to have to do that work again", that's the time to take an extra backup. Or before I make any significant modification to any piece of funtionality.

Plus I take a backup each day, before I start work on any project. Of course if you're using Source Code control, then you should be "checking in" your changes frequently.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Angie,

Please don't directly mark replies as the answer, without proposing them first (to give the OP a chance to accept the proposed answer), just to close the question.

Friday, December 7, 2012 10:17 AM
  • This just happened to me. I am very sad that there is no fix for this. I was able to copy the contents of the ClientRuntime.lsml file under GeneratedArtifacts into the Client.lsml file, and at least that way I was able to get the screen designer back and all my entities. However the solution just would not compile anymore. I wish there was a way to regenerate the Client.lsml file from the ClientRuntime.lsml file.
    Friday, December 20, 2013 3:21 PM
  • This just happened to me. I am very sad that there is no fix for this. I was able to copy the contents of the ClientRuntime.lsml file under GeneratedArtifacts into the Client.lsml file, and at least that way I was able to get the screen designer back and all my entities. However the solution just would not compile anymore. I wish there was a way to regenerate the Client.lsml file from the ClientRuntime.lsml file.

Comparing ClientRuntime.lsml to Client.lsml of a new project, I was able to regenerate my missing 3MB Client.lsml! Thanks for the idea...

Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:29 PM