none
Lost the Watch window RRS feed

• Question

• A few days ago I stupidly closed the Watch window completely, and now I don't know how to open it.  I've looked in the View menu and there doesn't appear to be any way to open the Watch window from the View menu, or from any other menu.  This makes debugging a pain as you might guess....

Any idea how I can open the Watch window?  I'm using VS 2005 by the way...

Thank you!

ntb

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:52 PM

Answers

• OK, I found a way to do this but it is rather byzantine.  You have to add a Watch tool to the Debug toolbar.  Doing this is not intuitive, and finding out how to do it was not easy either.  The search functionality on VS is even worse in 2005, I finally had to go to Google to find a page that told me how to do this.  Bleah!

ntb

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:18 PM

All replies

• I should also note that I'm working within the Business Intelligence Design Studio, I'm running SSIS packages and have set breakpoints on the PreExecute event.  When debugging, it stops at the Task, but I'm then unable to open the Watch window.  If you right click on the Task there is an option for Add Watch, but nothing happens, probably because you have to select a variable first, but in order to do that you have to open Watch first....

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier...opening a Watch window in a regular project is easy, just right click on the variable, etc. and the Watch window opens up.  However, in BIDS this is not able to happen.

Thank you!
    ntb

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:01 PM
  • OK, I found a way to do this but it is rather byzantine.  You have to add a Watch tool to the Debug toolbar.  Doing this is not intuitive, and finding out how to do it was not easy either.  The search functionality on VS is even worse in 2005, I finally had to go to Google to find a page that told me how to do this.  Bleah!

ntb

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:18 PM
  • The watch windows should appear under the Debug->Windows menu.  You shouldn't have to add it to the Debug toolbar. 

While debugging you can also right click on a datatip that pops up (the "tooltip" that displays a variable's value) and choose Add Watch.  That will open the watch window as well.

• Proposed as answer by snakyjake3 Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:08 PM
    Monday, March 27, 2006 7:07 PM
  • Doesn't work for me...

My VS 2005 Watch window is completely lost!!..!!  

- Bjørn Sigurd Johansen

Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:57 AM
  • Bjørn,

Have you tried resetting your environment settings?  Here's how to do that.

1. Choose Tools->Import and Export Settings...
    2. Choose Import selected environment settings, click Next
    3. Choose Yes or No to saving your current settings and click Next.  You might want to save your current settings in case you've done a lot of customization (or may not have realized you've done a lot of customization!)
    4. Choose "General Development Settings", click Next.  This will ensure that you have all possible functionality readily available... though windows and settings may not be what you ultimately like.
    5. Now, you can choose what settings you want to import.  If you want to take it one step at a time, then expand "General Setitings and uncheck everything but "Window Layouts"
    6. Click Finish.

Hopefully your watch window comes back!

Saturday, February 17, 2007 1:28 AM
  • I've been wondering how to do this for weeks, and only just stumbled across this post!

The "Import and Export Settings" dialog needs to be renamed, perhaps to "Import, Export, or Reset Settings". I had no idea that the Reset functionality existed!

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+W, then 1, that should open it. 
    Friday, April 19, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Thank you!
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:47 PM