none
Installing office add-in to standard user from administrator RRS feed

• Question

• My environment is
    Windows XP SP3
    Office 2007 - in particular Excel
    Visual Studio 2008
    Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime 3.0

My addin is in c# and is targeted as an application addin for Excel.  I have created a setup project in Visual Studio 2008 using the windows installer deployment method.  I have strong signed it.  My addin uses some third party dlls from VersionOne (an agile development tool).

I believe I have read all the articles I can find on deploying an office addin for Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime 3.0 (NOT VSTO 2005SE) but can not get around this problem I am having. 

My excel addin installs and runs fine with administrator privileges.  I then try to run it on the same machine as a 'standard user' and it does not show up in the command bar.  When I attempt to install it via the Excel Options Add-in tab under Manage COM Add-ins it comes back with 'not a valid office add-in.  I have nothing else to go on (no logs, events, nothing).

I then attempted to install one of the VSTO v3 Deployment Demo sample projects (in particular the one with Inclusion ListsCustomActions and the basic installer) and got the same error.

There is so much information out there but evidently between 2005SE and Office Runtime 3.0 several fundamental changes occured in the registery, strong naming, not using caspol any more with .net 3.5,  etc causing some confusion on my part.  I suspect the answer is right in front of me but with the plethora of information I can not decipher it. very very frustrating.

I just need to know for a Windows Installer deployment for an office 2007 application addin using Office Runtime 3.0 in a Visual Studio 2008 development environment what I need to do to allow non admin users to be able to see my addin.  Second, what will third party dlls do in this case if anything

Thanks to anyone that can give me the answer and stop me from an early grave or a change of occupations.

Friday, January 29, 2010 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies