none
Visual Studio 2019 missing MTM and other testing tools RRS feed

• Question

• There is a problem with upgrading to Visual Studio 2019. Microsoft makes a poor assumption that everyone upgrading to Visual Studio 2019 will automatically be upgrading to Azure Devops or the latest TFS server. Thus, they have removed tools that are needed for earlier versions of TFS. My company uses TFS 2015. Thus, I need tools like MTM, TCM, etc..  Why has Microsoft removed these and other tools in Visual Studio 2019? Just because I want to take advantage of newer development features in Visual Studio 2019, I should not be penalized for my company using an older version of TFS.  TFS and Visual Studio should not be considered mutually inclusive.
    Monday, July 29, 2019 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken Varn,

Sorry for delay in reply.

Please refer this thread about tfs forum: The discussion for TFS has moved!

And after my research, I think you need full version of VS for your tfs tool. But if you want TCM.exe without VS, you could copy the following files from other machine which installs the VS2017.

1. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Client.dll
    2. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Common.dll
    3. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.dll
    4. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common.dll
    5. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Client.dll
    6. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Common.dll
    7. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Controller.dll
    8. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.dll
    9. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.DataStoreLoader.dll
    10. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.dll
    11. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Common.dll
    12. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Proxy.dll
    13. Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.Client.dll
    14. Microsoft.WITDataStore.dll
    15. TCM.exe
    16. TCM.exe.config

Please refer more here: Minimal installation required to get TCM.exe working

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Ken Varn Monday, August 5, 2019 12:39 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2019 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Ken Varn,

Thank you for posting here.

We recommend you could use Azure Test Plans or the Test hub in TFS, it is a more comprehensive solution for manual testing compared to MTM.

From this DOC: Guidance on Microsoft Test Manager usage, you could see: 

• It is a richer, faster, and easier-to-use solution for manual testing as compared to the Test Center in MTM. It works on all platforms and all browsers, and has a rich and modern web UI that improves your testing experience across all stages of manual testing.
    • All the test plans, test suites, test cases, results and other test management data you create using Microsoft Test Manager are stored in Azure DevOps or TFS. Hence, existing Microsoft Test Manager users can easily get started using Azure Test Plans or the Test hub in TFS without any data loss.

And from this DOC, you could refer more difference between web-based test and MTM.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:49 AM
  • Dylan,

I am not using manual tests, I am using test automation using C#.  I use Test Plans and Test Suites in TFS to run automated tests on various test agents.

Thus, there are some features in MTM that I can't seem to find in Visual Studio 2019 or in TFS 2015 (such as test run history).  Also, keep in mind as I stated in the original post, my company uses TFS 2015.  I don't think all of the functionality of Azure Test Plans are part of TFS 2015, unless I am missing something.

Also, I highly depend on the TCM tool, which is no longer supplied with Visual Studio 2019.

• Edited by Ken Varn Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:32 PM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi Ken Varn,

>> there are some features in MTM that I can't seem to find in Visual Studio 2019

As the previous DOC says, Microsoft Test Manager 2017 (which shipped with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017) is the last version.

>> I don't think all of the functionality of Azure Test Plans are part of TFS 2015, unless I am missing something.

Yes, Azure Test Plan is from Azure Dev Ops, it not belongs to TFS. BTW, since tfs forum is locked, if you have issues about tfs, we recommend you could refirect to stack overflow with tfs tag.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:59 AM
  • In reference to Stack Overflow and TFS, Is Microsoft no longer supporting TFS on MSDN forums?  If so, why?

Like I had said earlier, the update to Visual Studio 2019 seems to incur a penalty if a company is still using TFS 2015, since VS 2019 doesn't have tools for TFS that used to be in earlier versions of Visual Studio.  Is there a way to just download the latest TFS tools without installing Visual Studio 2017?

• Edited by Ken Varn Friday, August 2, 2019 12:39 PM
    Friday, August 2, 2019 12:38 PM
  • Hi Ken Varn,

Please refer this thread about tfs forum: The discussion for TFS has moved!

And after my research, I think you need full version of VS for your tfs tool. But if you want TCM.exe without VS, you could copy the following files from other machine which installs the VS2017.

1. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Client.dll
    2. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Common.dll
    3. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.dll
    4. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common.dll
    5. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Client.dll
    6. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Common.dll
    7. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.TestManagement.Controller.dll
    8. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.dll
    9. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.DataStoreLoader.dll
    10. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.dll
    11. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Common.dll
    12. Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Proxy.dll
    13. Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.Client.dll
    14. Microsoft.WITDataStore.dll
    15. TCM.exe
    16. TCM.exe.config

Please refer more here: Minimal installation required to get TCM.exe working

Best Regards,

Dylan

• Marked as answer by Ken Varn Monday, August 5, 2019 12:39 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2019 3:17 AM
  • To be honest, I am just about at the point where I am considering uninstalling VS 2019 and going back to VS 2017.  If I have to go to all this trouble to access tools that seem to now only be available in VS 2017, I might as well go back to using it rather than use VS 2019.  Other things about VS 2019 are starting to disappoint me as well, including recent changes to the Test Explorer and Test menus.  I do extensive automated testing using VS and TFS, and cannot afford to go through hoops trying to get things working in VS 2019 that were already working in VS 2017.
    Monday, August 5, 2019 6:19 PM