none
Pb installing VS2010 on brand new installed windows server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have just installed windows server 2008 sp2 on 1 box. I have added .NET 3.0 as a "feature" to this machine.

I am trying now to install Visual Studio 2010. The setup install some required components and among them, .NET 4.0.

After this is done, the box requests a reboot, and the installation is supposed to resume after the reboot. Unfortunately, the installation now fails every time, with a simple pop-up windows saying that the application (setup) has stopped working.

Also, now that .NET 4.0 is installed, the server manager view is not working.

So I have tried to repair .NET 4.0, still the same issue. I have uninstalled .NET 4.0, downloaded the stand alone installation (because my box does not have internet access) and re-install from scratch, still the same issue.

Now I have uninstall completely .NET 4.0, so I am back to the default .NET 3.0 installed by windows server feature, the Manager Server views works fine, but I can't find a way to install VS2010 ...

It really seems to be related to .NET installation / compatibility but I can't figure out how to fix it.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Eric Lemasson SITA

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:35 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your answer.

I finally understood what the pb was ... I was using a "check build" version of Windows server 2008 downloaded from msdn website. I saw online that a lot of people were having issue using such version.

So I downloaded the regular version and I don't have these problems anymore.

Thanks

Eric

Eric Lemasson SITA

• Marked as answer by Eric Sita Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:22 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

I'm sorry you are running into this issue.

Win Server 2008 did have .NET Framewrok 3.5 on it by default. So .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 is already a feature on it. You can refer to this page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049.aspx 

What's more, .net 4.0 and .net 3.5 can be running side by side so your issue was not related to compatibility.

We need to know why the installation was blocked when the OS is reboot? Have you disabled your AV software when roboot? Can u make sure all udpates are install?

I think we may need full logs to help you.

Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to point to the collect.exe tool. This will survive any changes to the download URL that may happen in the future (especially important given the Internet's long-term memory).
    After using it, you can find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/ . Then when you right click the file your will get a "Share option". Then you will be able to share your file with that link.

Regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

I finally understood what the pb was ... I was using a "check build" version of Windows server 2008 downloaded from msdn website. I saw online that a lot of people were having issue using such version.

So I downloaded the regular version and I don't have these problems anymore.

Thanks

Eric

Eric Lemasson SITA

• Marked as answer by Eric Sita Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:22 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:22 PM