I have Found This Version Of vbdos 1991
    Is There any new version of this application

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:14 PM

Answers

• hi,
    i know , i know
    I'm using Vs2005.net

but i want to make a dos application with nice GUI interface
    i know the vbdos 1 is making dos application but the theme of the application not
    nice so that i am looking for a new version of this program.

There are no and will not be any new versions of VBDOS.  What you see is what you get, it's technology from 2 decades ago.  The only way that you can get a nicer "GUI" through VBDOS is to write the code to create it yourself.  What you see is as nice as the "themes" get with it.  With a "DOS" application, you're just going to have standard ASCII characters (no Unicode, no graphics libraries) to create the GUI with which doesn't leave a lot in the way of creating a compelling interface.  If you insist on using VBDOS your options are:

1.)  Use it's GUI editor and accept that it's not all that pretty
    2.)  Write code to create your own GUI... at this point though, you'll also have to write code to use the mouse manually... which, will be a huge pain.  I myself wouldn't even know where to start with how to do that with VBDOS anymore. 
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:52 PM
  • HI Mohamed

Your version of VB is influenced by QBasic (Quick Basic) under DOS environment. Your version of Visual Basic 1.0 relaesed on May 1991. but another version is released on Novermber 1992 (VB version 2.0). Visual Basic 3.0 was released in the summer of 1993. This was the last version of VB under DOS environment. Other versions of VB (4.0, 5.0 ....etc) were for Windows.

I have a quick basic version 1.1 for MS-DOS Copyright 1987 - 1992. My version is one of the Microsoft ld MS-DOS utilities for Windows 95.

For more information about VB development see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic

God help the rich man, let the poor man beg!
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Hi everyone,

First and last version of Visual Basic for DOS, was released a few months after Visual Basic for Windows 1.0 back in 1991. It wasn't a very popular development environment since Windows development was beginning to catch on at that point.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• HI Mohamed

Your version of VB is influenced by QBasic (Quick Basic) under DOS environment. Your version of Visual Basic 1.0 relaesed on May 1991. but another version is released on Novermber 1992 (VB version 2.0). Visual Basic 3.0 was released in the summer of 1993. This was the last version of VB under DOS environment. Other versions of VB (4.0, 5.0 ....etc) were for Windows.

I have a quick basic version 1.1 for MS-DOS Copyright 1987 - 1992. My version is one of the Microsoft ld MS-DOS utilities for Windows 95.

For more information about VB development see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic

God help the rich man, let the poor man beg!
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:58 PM
  • msdn.microsoft.com/express  there is also a newer beta version

Success
    Cor
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hi everyone,

First and last version of Visual Basic for DOS, was released a few months after Visual Basic for Windows 1.0 back in 1991. It wasn't a very popular development environment since Windows development was beginning to catch on at that point.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:26 PM
  • VB 3.0 was for Windows also (16-bit, I still have my disks as well as my VB-DOS 1.0 disk).  I believe VB 2.0 was also for Windows and not DOS (meaning there's only 1 version of VB-DOS).

My VBDOS 1.0 works perfect under Windows 7 32-bit.   My Visual Basic 3.0 doesn't anymore.  Not that I have any use for them other than naustalgia.  I took a programming class my senior year in high school and my teacher was blown away when I created a text editor in VBDOS with mouse support and other common features (the mouse support was all taken care of via VB).  It was the easiest A in a programming class I ever got.  ;P  Thanks VB! 

Heh.  ;)
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Hi,
    I said that i want any new programs that's make programs for dos with visual basic
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Mohamed,

What do you mean with Dos, the version which were delivered with the PC1 PC-Dos and on other '86 computers MS-Dos or simply Dos Mode.

For the later I gave you the link to the Express version, the name is then a console project.

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:42 PM
  • hi,
    i know , i know
    I'm using Vs2005.net

i know the vbdos 1 is making dos application but the theme of the application not
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:27 PM
  • If the DOS machine has sufficient RAM and disk space then you can install Windows 95 or Windows 98.  If you then create your application in VB6 it can be set up as the Windows shell.  These versions of Windows can be executed from DOS and will return to DOS when closed.  With your application as the shell, you get the full GUI effect but the user isn't even aware that they are running Windows.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:05 PM
  • hi,
    i know , i know
    I'm using Vs2005.net

There are no and will not be any new versions of VBDOS.  What you see is what you get, it's technology from 2 decades ago.  The only way that you can get a nicer "GUI" through VBDOS is to write the code to create it yourself.  What you see is as nice as the "themes" get with it.  With a "DOS" application, you're just going to have standard ASCII characters (no Unicode, no graphics libraries) to create the GUI with which doesn't leave a lot in the way of creating a compelling interface.  If you insist on using VBDOS your options are:

1.)  Use it's GUI editor and accept that it's not all that pretty
    2.)  Write code to create your own GUI... at this point though, you'll also have to write code to use the mouse manually... which, will be a huge pain.  I myself wouldn't even know where to start with how to do that with VBDOS anymore. 
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:52 PM