What is ftol2.asm ??? RRS feed

• Question

• After compiling a sinus scroller written years ago i eventually managed to compile it and get it running only to be presented with a blank screen and no output.

Ok, so I start debugging and place a break point early on in the code and step into the code and trace it up to the point where it freezes.. Before I get to that point I

get some thing very strange happen and am presented with the following...

Locating source for 'f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\SELF_X86\crt\prebuild\tran\i386\ftol2.asm'. Checksum: MD5 {d2 9 56 79 46 51 f8 66 61 ea f3 2d f7 42 53 76}
    The file 'f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\SELF_X86\crt\prebuild\tran\i386\ftol2.asm' does not exist.
    Looking in script documents for 'f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\SELF_X86\crt\prebuild\tran\i386\ftol2.asm'...
    Looking in the projects for 'f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\SELF_X86\crt\prebuild\tran\i386\ftol2.asm'.
    The file was not found in a project.
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\crt\src\'...
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc'...
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfcm'...
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl'...
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\crt\src'...
    Looking in directory ''...
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include'...
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\include'...
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\include'...
    Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\\include'...
    Looking in directory ''...
    The debug source files settings for the active solution indicate that the debugger will not ask the user to find the file: f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\SELF_X86\crt\prebuild\tran\i386\ftol2.asm.
    The debugger could not locate the source file 'f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\SELF_X86\crt\prebuild\tran\i386\ftol2.asm'.

Could someone please tell me what the heck this ftol2.asm is as its certainly not part of my project!!!??

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:27 PM

Answers

• ftol2 is a routine the compiler will use under certain circumstances to convert a floating point number to an integer (ftol may mean "float to long").  The .asm extension means assembly.  In this case the ftol2 routine is written in assembly.  As you step through your code, you are getting to a spot where your program wants do the float to int conversion, and if you step in with the debugger, it is suppose to show you the source of that particular assembly routine.

My guess is that ftol2 is not the problem with your program.  If you are unable to get the debugger to work with ftol2, you can always step over it or insert a breakpoint and run to skip over the debugging of ftol2.

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:35 PM