none
Lightswitch Web Deployment Task Failed Using VSO. Server.SourceManifest.xml cannot be created. RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

Please help. I am unable to successfully build even one time through Visual Studio Online.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets (3899): Web deployment task failed. (Object of type 'manifest' and path 'C:\a\bin\_PublishedWebsites\Application3.Server_Package\Application3.Server.SourceManifest.xml' cannot be created.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_EXCEPTION_WHILE_CREATING_OBJECT.)

I'm using Visual Studio Professional 2013 Update 3 with a Lightswitch HTML application.

I am able to successfully commit and sync using Visual Studio's Git on TFS.
    I am able to successfully right click on the solution and publish to Azure websites.

Some things I have tried:
    * Under Build definition Process tab, Advanced, setting MSBuild Platform to “X86”
    * Under Build definition, setting “MSBuild Arguments” to “/t:publish”
    * Committing and syncing some, and then eventually all files (a blank gitignore file and all files included)
    * Not just closing VS, but restarting my computer after each change.
    * Retrying a build as soon as it errors.
    * Starting over from scratch with a new team project, and then also a new application, but I get exactly the same error - Server.SourceManifest.xml cannot be created.

• Edited by IWilliam777 Monday, September 15, 2014 10:58 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 10:51 PM

All replies

• HI

Deploy your Microsoft Azure web sites or cloud services automatically whenever you upload your code. Get the steps on how to set up continuous deployment from TFVC or Git.

You can use Visual Studio Online team projects to host a Git repository for your source code, and automatically build and deploy to Azure websites or cloud services whenever you push a commit to the repository. See: Continuous delivery to Azure using Visual Studio Online and Git . Please follow the steps and check it on your side.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Angie 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 29, 2014 7:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:51 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:59 AM
  • This should not have been marked as "Answered" by Angie as the response is definitely not an answer.  iwilliam777 states he's trying to Continuously Deploy from Visual Studio Online (TFS) and not Git so I'm not sure how saying "it should work" and giving a link to the steps to setup Git to Azure helps.

This seems to be a common problem for those trying to get Lightswitch to Continuously Deploy from VSO to Azure so if someone would take the time to figure out this issue, it would help a lot of people.

John

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:30 PM
  • If you are still having issues with this, please email me at:

david (dot) kidder (at) microsoft (dot) com

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:32 PM
  • You are right, this is busted. I've seen this myself and we (Microsoft) are investigating the issue.

If you want, you can log a VS Connect bug as well on your end and I'll make sure we respond there (http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio)

It doesn't appear like the web package is being created correctly during the MSBUILD process anymore. I'm afraid I don't have a good work around at the moment.

Some things to try would be writing your own PowerShell script to do the building and creating of the web package.

Let me know if you log a bug, and sorry for the inconvenience.

-MATT SAMPSON

R. Matt Sampson

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:48 PM
  • David and Matt,

Thanks for responding.  I opened a Premier ticket last week and Trevor on the VSO team confirmed it is a bug and he has escalated the issue.  There was already a Connect issue but on a previous version so it seem the bug may have been resolved but then re-introduced.

Take care,

John

Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:37 PM
  • My apologies to everyone impacted by this issue. We have a fix and I'm working with the VSO team to get it deployed into production. Their current ETA is early next week. I'll update this thread when the fix has been deployed and I've tested the scenario.

Thanks for your patience and for helping us identify the problem.

Philo

Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Any updates on this issue? Still experiencing it this AM.
    Monday, October 20, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Hi Can you please provide an update as to when a fix will be available.

Thanks

Joe

Friday, October 24, 2014 10:21 AM
  • Hey Joe - Soon. Very soon hopefully. I promise to reply to this thread ASAP when it's fixed. 

We know what the problem is and the fix will be rolled out.

R. Matt Sampson

Monday, October 27, 2014 3:44 PM
  • JOE - Should be up and ready now. Let me know if it isn't fixed. It may take time to propagate but the fix was rolled out this morning.

THX - Matt Sampson

R. Matt Sampson

Friday, October 31, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Matt,

I tried today and still having issues.  Here's the feedback I provided to Trevor Hancock but putting here as well for everyone to see. (The xxx are where my project name was located)

-----------------
    I started from scratch and reconnected VSO to Azure but still received the same error below related to “cannot find part of the path” for the ApplicationSchemea.dacpac.

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\a\src\xxx\xxx\Bin\Data\ApplicationSchema.dacpac'

I then made 2 changes to the build that I’ve seen recommended on other posts. I changed the Process/Build/Advanced/MSBuild platform setting from Auto to X86 (I don’t think this mattered as though this is a Lightswitch project, on this particular one I don’t have the Desktop Client in it so no Silverlight) and I changed the Process/Build/Projects mapping from the default of the Solution to the Lightswitch VS Project’s .lsxtproj file.  With that build definition, I get an error that’s identical to the error we’ve been receiving.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets (3899): Web deployment task failed. (Object of type 'manifest' and path 'C:\a\bin\_PublishedWebsites\xxx.Server_Package\xxx.Server.SourceManifest.xml' cannot be created.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_EXCEPTION_WHILE_CREATING_OBJECT.)

------------------

Are there required changes to the build definition to get it to work correctly? 

Thanks,

John

Monday, November 3, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Matt,

I provided this info to Trevor Hancock but just so everyone else sees it...I went to a very simple LS project with just one table with one field and the Common Set Screen.  If the database is Intrinsic, the VSO build failed with this error:

I then deployed manually via VS, removed the ApplicationData from the LS project, and attached to that deployed database as an external SQL datasource, checked in to VSO and it deployed without error!

If the datasource is an oData service, that build fails also with the original error on this thread.  So, the only workaround I've found so far is to use SQL as the external datasource.

Error with Intrinsic Database

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v4.5\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets (160): The "BuildSchema" task failed unexpectedly.
    System.InvalidOperationException: An error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server instance '(LocalDB)\v11.0'.
    Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=35232; handshake=96;  ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=35232; handshake=96;  ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Friday, November 7, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Any update with this issue?

I'm unable to deploy a lightswitch application using VS 2013. I get the following error.

Error 1 Web deployment task failed. (Object of type 'manifest' and path ..\..\..\..\Server.SourceManifest.xml' cannot be created.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_EXCEPTION_WHILE_CREATING_OBJECT.) 0 0 Server

Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:32 PM
  • I'm getting the same error as Mark Hitter, using the default setting in the project.

VERY frustrating.

The file is actually getting created, though, but the LS Azure web app generates a server error with no real suggestions for fixing it.

Todd C - MCSE SQL Server Business Intelligence MCITP BI Dev 2008 MSCTS SQL Server 2005 Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 4:24 PM