none
Missing HxMerge.exe ?

Question

• I just installed latest Visual Studio 2008 SDK 1.1. I am looking for the Help utilities for Help 2.0 and I cannot find HxMerge.exe. Instead I have Hxcsrv.exe. 

I cannot find any documentation for HxCsrv.exe.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:48 PM

Answers

• The HxConv.exe and HxMerge.exe utilities were inadvertently removed when the development team pulled the Archive sample folder out of the SDK. Unfortunately, the Help 2.0 utilities were inappropriately contained in the old Help Integration sample, and were not moved to a more appropriate location. The components can still be retrieved from the older V4 SDK (for VS 2005). There is a bug logged against this, but the Help experience for VS 2010 will be updated to MS Help 3.0, so the tools may not appear in the next version of the SDK either.

Details on the upcoming help experience is very light right now. About the only public info I could find is on the HelpWare.Net site.

Sincerely,
    Ed Dore
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 4:35 PM

All replies

• The HxConv.exe and HxMerge.exe utilities were inadvertently removed when the development team pulled the Archive sample folder out of the SDK. Unfortunately, the Help 2.0 utilities were inappropriately contained in the old Help Integration sample, and were not moved to a more appropriate location. The components can still be retrieved from the older V4 SDK (for VS 2005). There is a bug logged against this, but the Help experience for VS 2010 will be updated to MS Help 3.0, so the tools may not appear in the next version of the SDK either.

Details on the upcoming help experience is very light right now. About the only public info I could find is on the HelpWare.Net site.

Sincerely,
    Ed Dore
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Can I just copy those files without installing the VS 2005 SDK?
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 6:24 PM