none
VS and windows 8.1 store development problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I cant seem to get a blank windows 8.1 store app to run in vs2013 on windows 8.1 when i set the drive to a different one(not the one vs in installed on). I get a wwahost.exe error and the just-in-time debugger pops up, yet there is nothing wrong with the code, since it is a blank app. If i copy the same app to the c drive (where VS in installed) then the app runs fine.

I have a feeling it is a permissions problem, but i m not sure what permissions exactly are missing, I have made sure that both the c and d drives have the same permissions but this issue still persists. 

I hope someone will be able to help.

Sasha

Friday, January 17, 2014 8:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Sasha,

When i set the drive to a different one (not the one vs in installed on).

How did you set the drive to a different one? Could you share us the detailed steps to repro this issue? If you mean that you change the default path of VS project, maybe you could clean and rebuild your app. Maybe you could get more error message in the Output/Error list window.

We know that Just-In-Time debugging launches Visual Studio automatically when an exception or crash occurs in an application running outside Visual Studio.

So my suggestion is that you could disable the JIT before run your app, and then run it again.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5hs4b7a6.aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:37 AM
  • Hi Jack

I had initially installed VS2013 on my c drive which is the primary drive, no errors during installation.

I then created a navigation based windows store app using javascript and saved the new project on my d drive. when i ran it in debug mode, without coding anything, the JIT compiler popped up.

I have since tried to install VS on my d drive, but now the javascript templates are missing, I tried installing just the javascript templates, they install successfully but still do not appear in the File->New Project dialog. I have not yet tried to disable the JIT, will try that and let you know what the result is. One thing that I didnt think should be an issue, but maybe it is, is that i still have vs2012 installed on my machine 

Kind regards,

Sasha

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:51 PM
  • Hi Sasha,

Thanks for your response.

I discuss this issue with the Window Store app expert, they told me that it would not impact the app running if you save the app to other drive.

1. Please Disable the JIT.
    2. Run your VS as the admin.
    3. Since it worked well in C drive, please copy the app from C drive, and paste it into D drive, and then run your VS as the admin, open it again. Before you run this app, please clean and rebuild your app.
    4. You’d better check this process “wwahost.exe”, is it your app’s executable file or others?

Generally we could use the VS2012 and VS2013 in the same Windows 8.1 Environment, I also have the same Environment, so as my understanding it is not the VS setup issue. Maybe you could check whether other apps work well.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:00 AM
  • Hi

I disabled the JIT, copied JS app from c drive to d drive, cleaned and built the app, and then debugged, error message pops up, I also tried creating a new JS navigation app on the d drive, and the same error message pops up, 

Error Message:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in WWAHost.exe[8204], Just-In-time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-in-Time enabled...

I clicked the OK button then the following message pops up:

I checked the output and all it says is:
    The program '[8204] WWAHost.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

If I create a mvc4 web site  on the d drive it works fine, just the JS windows app doesnt seem to want to work.

Kind regards,

Sasha

• Edited by Sasha_za Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:27 AM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:26 AM
  • Hi Sasha,

Sorry for my delay.

If I create a mvc4 web site on the d drive it works fine, just the JS windows app doesnt seem to want to work.

If so, we could make sure that it is not the VS IDE issue, it would be related to your JS windows store app.

To help you resolve this issue as soon as possible, please post this issue with the latest information in the Windows Store app development forum, you could select the correct forum here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/home?category=windowsapps&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Maybe this forum will be better: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/home?forum=winappswithhtml5

In addition, if possible, you could share a simple sample in your new thread, so it would be helpful for the windows store app expert to troubleshoot/resolve this issue. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:49 AM
  • Thanks Jack

Have moved the question to the Windows apps section.

Sasha

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:39 AM