Interoperating UDP and TCP binding questions

• Hi all,

I know I might be in the wrong forum to ask this question but I have no luck in getting an answer from (for asking udp binding in .NET 4.5), so I like to try my luck over here.

Basically, I have 2 services: a TCP service and within that, it has a UDP service to send multicast messages as well as to receive multicast messages.

The TCP service is used to provide clients with the usual service interface. However, some of the "operation contract" of the TCP service will perform multicasting of messages to all connected UDP clients (sometimes including itself).

for example:

client side -

TcpServiceClient proxy = new TcpServiceClient(); 
    proxy.MulticastString("This is a UDP message"); 

Service side -

Public void MulticastString(string udpMsg) 
       //Do some other stuff 

How  to create and use both the TCP Service and the UDP service?

If possible please provide a full example to works out this problem which include sending and receiving of upd messages.

• Edited by eva2002 Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:44 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your quick reply.

Actually, there is no need to create UDP transport layer/binding.

.NET 4.5 includes UDP binding as out-of-the-box solution. The only problem is how to use it.

With UDP alone, I am able to make use of it. However, when I create the UDP service within a TCP service, I was unable to publish the metabase wsdl link. Thus I wasn't able to port the service reference into my client project.

I am currently reading about udpclient. Hope it will help me to solve my problem.

UDP service -

• Edited by eva2002 Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:06 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:05 AM
  • How did you end up solving your issue? I need to do something similar. 

I currently have TCP client, server communicaitons, and I need to add multicast from server to all its client.

Friday, February 08, 2013 9:26 PM