none
Remote debugger "security package specific error"

Question

• I am getting a "Unable to connect to the Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor named XXXXX\seq033u@XXXXX. A Security package specific error occurred"

The VS 2008 remote debugger (x64) is running on a 64bit Windows 7 machine and VS 2008 is running on a windows XP machine. 

The firewall on windows 7 is closed.

Any ideas?

• Edited by Yanhai Yan Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:05 AM

Answers

• I am getting a "Unable to connect to the Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor named XXXXX\seq033u@XXXXX. A Security package specific error occurred"

The VS 2008 remote debugger (x64) is running on a 64bit Windows 7 machine and VS 2008 is running on a windows XP machine. 

The firewall on windows 7 is closed.

Any ideas?

Hi,

That is a known issue for windows xp machine, I would recommend you check the following document which is for VS2010 that I think it is helpful for VS2008 too.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff678494(v=vs.100).aspx

Ff678494.RemoteDebugSummary_Fig12(en-us,VS.100).png

This is because MSVSMon is not running with elevated privileges (as Administrator). This happens for example when using the runas command.

"Security package error" when trying to connect to a Windows XP machine.

On a domain-joined Windows XP machine you may experience this issue. When using default transport and trying to connect to MSVSMon, connection fails with an error message like this:

"Unable to connect to the Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor named 'DOMAIN\username@MACHINE'. A security package specific error occurred." This is a Windows bug for which a hotfix was released in 2009. If a workaround is still needed, local user accounts can be used. These steps do that:

Workaround steps

1. Visual Studio box: net user <your_alias> <your_password> /add

2. Target box: net user <your_alias> <your_password> /add

3. Target box: net localgroup administrators <computer_name>\<your_alias> /add

4. Target box: runas /user:<computer_name>\<your_alias> <path_to_msvsmon>

5. Visual Studio box: enter <your_alias>@<target_computer_name> (instead of just the target computer name)

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:08 AM