none
installing visual studio 2008 professional on windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have visual studio 2008 professional, and i'm thinking about getting a new laptop.

can visual studio 2008 installation run on Windows 7 pro 64 bit? Or should I get the 32 bit?
    I'm only asking because I've noticed that there are a lot of questions/problems in this forum about installing VS 2008 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks,

Eyal
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Eyal,

Visual Studio 2008 Professional is compatible with 64 bit Windows 7.

Catherine Sea
    Version Control Software | Software Configuration Management Solution

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:02 AM
  • Hi Eyal,

Thank you for your post.

The answer is yes. I have Windows 7 x64 on my machine and have installed Visual Studio 2008 Team Suite. It works well on my machine.
    You can directly install it. If you have any issue during the installation of Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7, please feel free to let me know. I'm willing to help you on that.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:25 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:55 AM
  • Thank you, Yichun. I have another question- do you know how to enable/install IIS on windows 7 pro? Thnanks, Eyal
    Yes VS 2008 pro is supported on windows 7 x64 there is no problem. 

To install IIS on windows:

1. go to Control Panel\Programs
    2. select turn windows feature on or off.
    3. select or tick the Checkbox of  Internet Information services and select all of its sub checkboxes if u want all of its services.

please mark my post as answered and don forget this.

If i have solved your problem then please mark my post as answered immediately before you forget. This is an auto generated signature.
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Kashif Khan Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:02 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Eyal,

Visual Studio 2008 Professional is compatible with 64 bit Windows 7.

Catherine Sea
    Version Control Software | Software Configuration Management Solution

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:02 AM
  • Hi Eyal,

Thank you for your post.

The answer is yes. I have Windows 7 x64 on my machine and have installed Visual Studio 2008 Team Suite. It works well on my machine.
    You can directly install it. If you have any issue during the installation of Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7, please feel free to let me know. I'm willing to help you on that.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:55 AM
  • Thank you, Yichun. I have another question- do you know how to enable/install IIS on windows 7 pro? Thnanks, Eyal
    • Proposed as answer by RKcorp Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:54 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:42 AM
    Yes VS 2008 pro is supported on windows 7 x64 there is no problem. 

To install IIS on windows:

1. go to Control Panel\Programs
    2. select turn windows feature on or off.
    3. select or tick the Checkbox of  Internet Information services and select all of its sub checkboxes if u want all of its services.

please mark my post as answered and don forget this.

If i have solved your problem then please mark my post as answered immediately before you forget. This is an auto generated signature.
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Kashif Khan Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:02 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:00 PM
  • hello,

i have just bought a laptop with windows 7 64-bit installed on it. i try many times to install either the visual studio 2005 or visual studio 2008 but i keep taking an error message : 

Error 1935.An error occured during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.MFC,version="9.0.21022.8",publicKeyToken="1fc8b...",

processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more info. HRESULT:0x800736B3.

What is wrong with the setup ? is it that i have win 7 64-bit and the setup is for 32 bit? is there a path that solves this error?

What should i do in order to successfuly install vs 2008?

please, if anyone knows, give a hand. 

Sunday, April 4, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Hi Tornado1979,

Could you please open a new thread in this forum so that we can focus on your concern? In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, April 5, 2010 3:13 AM
  • HI

thx for ur helping Yichun,I have another question:) i want to know that it doesn't any problem with sql2005 or sql2008 it means that can I connect vs2008 with sqlserver 2005(2008),because one of my friend tell me that she can't.

thanx alot

best regards:D

Saturday, May 22, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Has anyone had a problem with a custom install kit for your custom app where if you wanted it to insert a key into the registry that it wouldn't?

I have an app that I wrote that I created an installer for it in Visual Studio Team System 2008 that was supposed to write the apps settings to a registry key during the install. The installer doesn't do this but doesn't throw any errors either. I can import registry settings in from a .reg file, I can also write the settings to the registry from within the app too so I don't think its a permissions issue. Its just the installer won't write any values to the registry during the install.

I running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and Visual Studio Team System 2008.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Does the service pack 1 for visual studio 2008 work on windows 7 ?

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Hi Yichun,

This is an old post, but I have a problem with VS2008 Pro (and VS2010 Pro) running on Windows 7 x64. It's related to building from the command line; certain environment variables are supposed to be fetched from the system registry, but they are not found. Here's what I'm talking about:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC>vcvarsall amd64

Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 x64 tools.

WindowsSdkDir not found

Both HKCU and HKLM are set to the following:

Value 0

Name:            CurrentVersion

Type:            REG_SZ

Data:            v7.0A

Value 1

Name:            CurrentInstallFolder

Type:            REG_SZ

Data:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\

In VS2010, there is a similar problem, trying to get the common tools folder from the registry.

Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 x86 tools.

ERROR: Cannot determine the location of the VS Common Tools folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>vcvarsall amd64

Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 x64 tools.

ERROR: Cannot determine the location of the VS Common Tools folder.

I don't understand what could be wrong here, I have yet to get either system to work correctly on Windows 7 x64. 

Thanks,

Matt

Friday, July 30, 2010 12:27 AM
  • Hey I know this an old thread...I had the same problem you described installing VS2010 from an iso image...turns out the image was fine but MagicDisk was having a problem with it...I switched to VirtualCloneDrive and the install went great.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:33 AM
  • Hi,

Actually i m trying to install VS 2008 in my machine which has Windows 7.Bit unfortunately , the installation could not be completed.It stated well but after some time it throws the error that

"Setup Failed 

The following componenet failed to install

1) Crystal report basic 64-Bit Runtime for visual studio 2008

The following components were not attempted

1) Microsoft Windows SDK for visual studio 2008 tools(x64)

2) Microsoft Windows SDK for visual studio 2008 headers and libraries  (x64)

3) Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual studio 2008 win32 Tools(x64)

4) ....

5)....

6).....

So it showing these types of erroe ang couls not complete the installation process.

Could you please tell me any solution for this.

Thanks in advance

• Proposed as answer by PurushGupta77 Saturday, June 16, 2012 12:46 AM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Hi Yichun,

I have vs 2008 on windows 7 64bit with oracle 11gr2 64, but I am unable to create a data connection.

Have you encounter such an issue or do you know the fix for this.

Attempt to load oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException.

Friday, July 8, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi Yichun,

I have vs 2008 on windows 7 64bit with oracle 11gr2 64, but I am unable to create a data connection.

Have you encounter such an issue or do you know the fix for this.

Attempt to load oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException.

Hi Yichun,

Can Visual Studio Run over Windows 7 Pro 32 bits?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:21 PM
  • The problem I think, is because studio runs from c:\program files (x86)\ common files and oracle don't like this.

So, you can't connect any database while in debug. The solution may be change default common files diretory outside "program files (x86)".

I have same issue.

https://community.oracle.com/message/11103466
    • Edited by Ntc Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:23 PM added link
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:50 AM
  • hi,

you have to check it ou trough systeem information,at start you press systeem in search colume and check your system information to see on what your new laptop runs and download the right one,normally it works perfectly

best regards,

van Donnick David

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2:17 PM