none
Please help improve forum's announcement

General discussion

•  

Hi all,

I've noticed that amounts of off topic threads in this forum are growing lately, and as suggested by The Thinker, we decide to add an announcement to this forum. This announcement is directed to helping members find a better forum for their issues. 

The draft is shown below, please help improve it.

On my side, the following suggestion is needed:

• Is this table being too large?
    • Is there any unnecessary or missed item? 
    • Is the title succinct enough?

And any other advice is appreciated.

--Announcement Title

Read before posting (Click to expand)

-End Announcement Title

--Announcement Body

This forum is for problems and discussions related to programming with VB inside Visual Studio for versions starting with the .Net version (2002). Before posting your question, please check if your issue is related to the following categories. In order to get better response, please take a look at How to Use this Forum.

Category

Appropriate forum

Remark

GUI related

Windows Forms General 

Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) 

ASP.Net forums (ASP and VB for MVC)

Special .Net control forums

report control

chart control

SQL transact

Transact-SQL

3rd party products

crystal report

including but not limited

.NET Framework Class Libraries

.NET Framework Class Libraries

Easy to confused, not VB related

VB6 and older

VBScript

Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)

--End Announcement  Body

Thanks in advance.

The Italic content is modified or new added.

Shanks Zen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 08, 2013 7:03 AM

All replies

• Shanks, 

In my idea a good start.

As text I would use: This forum is for problems and discussions related to programming with VB inside Visual Studio for versions starting with the  .Net version (2002).

(note for you and others: the .Net name is only used by Microsoft for the product 2002 and is about language version 7.0, .Net is not anymore used since version .Net 2003. In Microsoft communication, it is simply VB) 

I would in not related change VB6 into: VB6 and older 

ADD to not related.

Inline HTML VB (ASP)............ASP.Net forum

VB for MVC ............ ASP.Net forum. 

SQL transact.................I assume you know perfectly well the link
    VBS ......................the scripting guys forum

There can be added more but then at a certain moment there is nothing more to ask here.

And please remove than all those old stickies who have no purpose anymore or are outdated. 

Success
    Cor

Friday, March 08, 2013 7:48 AM
  • I agree with Cor's suggestions. You might consider adding a link to the .Net Framework Class Libraries forum.  You might also want to suggest that anyone wanting to know how to use a control or Framework class should use the search function in the library to find the documentation.
    • Edited by Blackwood Friday, March 08, 2013 1:24 PM
    Friday, March 08, 2013 1:21 PM
  • @Cor and @Blackwood

Your suggestions are very helpful, I'll edit my original post later.

@Kevin

These ideas will certainly help members posting an effective thread. Since this announcement aims at redirecting member to an appropriate forum, I'll consider reference your reply to this thread by Reed: How to Use this Forum.

Thanks for your replies.

Shanks Zen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 08, 2013 2:41 PM
  • I would add that the VB General forum is also for assistance with Console Apps written in VB.NET

Friday, March 08, 2013 9:05 PM
  • And please remove than all those old stickies who have no purpose anymore or are outdated.

I definitely agree with that.

Also, people simply do not read the stickies first to find out if their question is appropriate in this forum. There is nothing that can be done about that.

It is sooo tempting when presented with a question that can be easily answered, even though off-topic, to supply an answer instead of looking for a more appropriate place. I end up writing something along the lines of "This is the wrong forum, please try forum x. But you might want to z first," where z is something simple. Examples: an ASP.NET-related question is in some circumstances entirely appropriate for this forum if the ASP.NET aspect is ignored; a hardware-related question might need some intermediate research in other areas before it can be brought back into the VB realm. </rambling>

Perhaps another useful link to add would be http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows .

--
    Andrew

Friday, March 08, 2013 10:00 PM
  • Would be nice if it included a reference to ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment.

Leon C Stanley - - A dinky di VB'er - -

Saturday, March 09, 2013 12:28 PM
  • I don't think 'GUI Related' is a good term to use for the forums you have listed under that heading.   Much of the questions that are asked here, which are relevant, are associated with the GUI, simply because a lot of the coding in any VB application is concerned with handling GUI elements. 

If you look at the FAQ for Windows Forms General, it seems to go with Special .Net Control forums, which could perhaps be named as "Forms Design and .Net Controls"

WPF and ASP are distinct enough to each be a group of their own.

The last group could be "Other versions of Visual Basic" (the current description is not grammatical).

And I think Visual Studio and the IDE should be in there as well.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:15 AM
  • You can have that opinion. For the same we can say that Windows Forms is too old to be still handled in this forum. Windows forms is a Gui associated with VB6. 

This forum was never created as a kind of follow up for VB6. It is the forum for VB (and not only related for the old Express version)

This mainly means code but also for example as well how to use it in Visual Studio which is in some cases different with the other program languages.

Be aware that programming with VB for .Net is not related to the GUI, it is the same for Console, Windows Forms, WPF, SilverLight, Asp.Net, Datasets, Linq to SQL, Linq to Entities, .Net for Applications, and so I can go on a while, making the Gui your only standard for the VB forum questions can only mean that there is a high knowledge needed from those who know VB but don't know any in and out from the GUI's.

I know some of us know only Windows Forms, but that outdated Gui is not the way it should the only Gui for which it is allowed to program here.

Success
    Cor

Sunday, March 10, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Somebody needs to go through the current announcement, review the links in it which the VB6 link says "thread deleted" as the result of selecting it, and verify the integrity of the announcements links and other information.

La vida loca

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:11 AM
  •  Not to be a negative nelly but,  from my experience on several forums that i help on which have had the same problems with posting in the wrong forum,  there is not much you can do.  Not to be rude to beginners but,  a lot of them don`t know the difference between VB6 and VB.Net.  They just see VB or Visual Basic and that is where they post.  They usually at that point would not understand if they should be in a different forum for one question or another forum for another question.

Also,  i don`t believe 99% of the new members even look at the stickies or forum rules let alone read through them before posting their question.  I suppose it is worth a shot to post this info on the forum page just to see if it cuts down on this problem but,  it will still happen on a regular basis.

On one forum i help on,  they actually have links right on the pages to take you to the VB6, VB.Net, and other sub forums and yet people still post questions in the wrong forums.

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:02 PM
  •  Not to be a negative nelly but,  from my experience on several forums that i help on which have had the same problems with posting in the wrong forum,  there is not much you can do.  Not to be rude to beginners but,  a lot of them don`t know the difference between VB6 and VB.Net.  They just see VB or Visual Basic and that is where they post.  They usually at that point would not understand if they should be in a different forum for one question or another forum for another question.

Also,  i don`t believe 99% of the new members even look at the stickies or forum rules let alone read through them before posting their question.  I suppose it is worth a shot to post this info on the forum page just to see if it cuts down on this problem but,  it will still happen on a regular basis.

On one forum i help on,  they actually have links right on the pages to take you to the VB6, VB.Net, and other sub forums and yet people still post questions in the wrong forums.

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Yeah. I don't see much intuitive design used for these websites anyhow so it's no wonder people post in wrong forums, don't know how to use forums, etc.

The good thing is it doesn't have any distracting ads loading all over the place....yet.

La vida loca

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:20 PM