none
Visual Studio 2010 redistributable superseded by VS 2014 redistributable? RRS feed

• Question

• An application I installed requires VS2010 redistributable.  I have downloaded this but cannot install it, the installer gives an error message to the effect that "a more recent version" is on my computer: "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.  Please resolve."  But what is installed is actually VS2014, according to the registry: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes\X64, Installed REG_DWORD =0x00000001.

Is there a way to install VS2010 redistributable in this case?  Or will the VS2014 Runtimes do the job that my software package needs?

gas turbine data storage

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:22 AM

All replies

• Check Programs and Features in Control Panel, or if you are on Windows 10 and don't know where that is, check Settings->Apps->Apps and Features.

If you see the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable in this list already then it means that the redistributable is already installed and you don't need to install it.

The Visual C++ 2010 redistributable wouldn't be detecting this if a version wasn't already installed. I also think that you should check the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio (notice the WOW6432Node in there) since I don't think the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable registered itself in the 64 bit portion of the registry.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Proposed as answer by RLWA32 Saturday, June 15, 2019 10:11 AM
    Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:39 AM
  • Right you are, Darran Rowe, many thanks.  VS2010 showed up in both places.

Thanks again!

gas turbine data storage

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:47 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got any updates? If your case has been solved, please help to mark answers. If not, just feel free to contact us.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Jeanine Zhang

Monday, June 17, 2019 1:22 AM
  • Different major versions of VC++ runtimes do not interfere with each other. So this message is not because of the existence of Visual C++ 2015 runtime (V14.0). It is because you have another version of Visual C++ 2010 runtime, or the remains of it, and are running the RTM version of Visual C++ 2010 runtime that complains when an update is installed. 

You can uninstall your current version of Visual C++ 2010 runtime (note x86 and x64 editions are separate products), then install your app. Then patch it up by installing the SP1 version of the Visual C++ 2010 runtimes. with You may also want to notify the author of the application to upgrade to the SP1 version of Visual C++ 2010 runtime to prevent this happen in the future.

If you don't see Visual C++ 2010 runtime installed on your system, you may have an failed install or incomplete uninstall. Check https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsnetsetup/2014/07/17/installation-failing-with-a-newer-version-of-microsoft-visual-c-2010-redistributable-has-been-detected-on-this-machin for steps to remove the remains manually. 

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:24 PM