none
Visual Studio 2017 Debugger breaks application RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following issue: I am working on a console application for my university class. Now I got the following setup: A WPF application which launches the console via interop calls - so basically a WPF wrapped console project.

I need WPF just as framework for visualisation of my data in form of graphs. In Visual Studio 2015 it did work fine, but now it's broken.

I know VS 15 is in RC state but I used all prior versions from RC state on and never had any breaking issues. And since I had to reinstall my OS I thought I would use VS 15 already. After all VS does leave a lot of traces once uninstalled and all prior to 15 are a pain ... to remove completely.

Now everytime I debug my application I get an IOException saying: "The handle was invalid." when calling any Console-class related methods. When I don't start with a Debugger attatched, it does work fine. But then I can't find the actual errors I've got.

Is there any workaround for this issue? Maybe it's some new function that can be turned off or something? Else I hope this bug gets fixed soon.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hi SharpSkylazer,

Is this issue only occurs in current project or all projects created by Visual Studio 2017 RC? I create a WPF project which used to invoke a console application and it works fine in my new installed VS2017 RC.

If just occurs in this specific project, this issue should be related to your project itself when upgrade to VS2017. I suggest you create a new WPF project and then copy the original project files into this new project and try debug again.

If this issue occurs when debugging all projects in VS2017 RC, I'm afraid that there has some problem in your VS2017 RC installation. I suggest you repair it to check whether this issue could be fixed.

In addition, VS2017 RC has an Update released. Please open the VS2017 RC installer, it will prompt you to install this update.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Weiwei Cai Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:26 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:12 AM