none
Install a nuget package into an IIS site

Question

• I have a .net web project that I'm building with MSBUILD and I'm creating a NUGET package from this build.

How do I deploy this NUGET package into an IIS site. the nuget package has everything I need in the "content" folder.

I thought it would be as simple as running this command:
    nugget.exe install <path to the nugget package>

but when I run this NUGET install command it looks at my nuget.config file and it tries to get my nuget package from one of my sources (nuget.org).

How can I simply install this package into my IIS server?

I know that with powershell I can rename the nuget package to .zip and unzip the contents.. but I was looking for more native approach with nuget.

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Igpana,

Thanks for posting here.

Do you want to install the nuget package into an IIS server not for the .net web project? If yes, I`m afraid you can not do that by NuGet. Because NuGet is a dependency manager, which is appropriate for use at development/build, not deployment time.

Besides, if possible, you can refer to the Octopus Deploy, It install nuget packages on IIS, as windows service, etc. Moreover it gives really nice GUI for management.

Hope this helps.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 22, 2018 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Igpana,

Thanks for posting here.

Do you want to install the nuget package into an IIS server not for the .net web project? If yes, I`m afraid you can not do that by NuGet. Because NuGet is a dependency manager, which is appropriate for use at development/build, not deployment time.

Besides, if possible, you can refer to the Octopus Deploy, It install nuget packages on IIS, as windows service, etc. Moreover it gives really nice GUI for management.

Hope this helps.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 22, 2018 9:30 AM
  • thanks. yes, we do use it for development purposes but someone suggested to pack application files for deployment as well using nuget. I guess we can just use msbuild to create a the application package as a zip file or as an MSI. or research octopus deploy.

Monday, January 22, 2018 10:02 PM