none
Visual studio remote debugger execution RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to give some hints on how to perform remote debugging according to my short experience with such kind of debug facilities.

First of all, you need to run MSVSMON.exe on the remote machine. In order to so, you should copy the folder

\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x86 to the remote machine and run the executable file.

Secondly, you need to check Windows firewalls settings of the remote machine and in particular check whether the Exceptions tab contains the executable file that you want to debug. If no, you must  add the executable file, give the IP of your host machine(IPCONFIG) for the option of Custom list at Change Scope window.

On the host machine you need to select Tools->Attach to Process.. and point to the remote machine’s file.

Be careful to make sure that the remote machine has the exact output of the source that you want to debug from the VS and also the pdb files. 

Bear in mind that the user must have the security authorisation permissions to run debug on the remote machine.(I have been an administrator at both the machines)

I hope to offer you some help. 

Regards,

Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:55 AM

Answers

• Thanks; more complete & accurate information is on the How to: Set Up Remote Debugging page.

Secondly, you need to check Windows firewalls settings of the remote machine and in particular check whether the Exceptions tab contains the executable file that you want to debug. If no, you must add the executable file

is not correct; the target app may or may not need ports opened on the firewall, but that has nothing to do with debugging. For remote debugging, the remote-debugging monitor (msvcmon.exe) has to be able to get through the firewall. If you use the 'rdbgsetup' application instead of manually copying the files, the firewall configuration will be done for you.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:58 AM

All replies

• Thanks; more complete & accurate information is on the How to: Set Up Remote Debugging page.

Secondly, you need to check Windows firewalls settings of the remote machine and in particular check whether the Exceptions tab contains the executable file that you want to debug. If no, you must add the executable file

is not correct; the target app may or may not need ports opened on the firewall, but that has nothing to do with debugging. For remote debugging, the remote-debugging monitor (msvcmon.exe) has to be able to get through the firewall. If you use the 'rdbgsetup' application instead of manually copying the files, the firewall configuration will be done for you.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 12:58 AM
  • Thanks gusy for both of your info, I'm sure it will help forum users.  In future, use the "info" post type rather than the question one. 

Again, thanks for participating and sharing the knowledge,

John

Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:57 PM