none
Copy/Paste Stops Working RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason, cut/copy/paste mysteriously stops working in Visual Studio Power Tools 2010.

Love the tools but this is frequent enough that I had to uninstall them. Is there a fix or setting to fix this behavior?

Thanks!

Saturday, February 5, 2011 7:56 AM

Answers

• I wanted to report back that this is NOT related to Power Tools. It's happening again to me right now on a machine I am remoted into. Cut/copy/paste not working on remote VS 2010. Power Tools are NOT installed on the remote machine, OR the local machine. If anyone has a fix. I'd be interested. Very annoying, and of course, it always happens when you least want it to! Otherwise, I'll have to wait for the fix.

One more thing. I'm not sure I would agree with it being a "Windows Issue". If I close all VS 2010 instances, and restart, cut/copy/paste work again... fyi

• Marked as answer by BSavoie Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:15 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:15 AM

All replies

• I hadn't heard of this before thanks for bringing it to our attention.  When you say that it stops working is it that the commands themselves aren't enabled (on the menus/toolbars) and thus using the keyboard shortcuts do nothing? Or are the commands showing as enabled but executing them does nothing?

Ryan

Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:39 PM
  • I talked with someone internally about this and apparently there is a Windows bug in the clipboard where if two operations happen in quick succession and Remote Desktop is monitoring the clipboard it can become corrupted. How WPF interacts with the clipboard can trigger this bug. Are you using Remote Desktop when this happens (either the machine VS is running on is running under Remote Desktop or the machine VS is running on has a Remote Desktop session open to another machine)? This specific bug will be fixed (actually, worked around, since it is a Windows bug at core) in the next release of the Pro Power Tools.

Ryan

Saturday, February 5, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Now that you mention it. It does seem like Remote Desktop is always part of the equation. I'm not positive, but I believe when this happens, cut/paste stops working on my local machine and the remote machine. I'll have to pay more attention regarding Remote Desktop next time. I usually have a Remote Desktop session open when I'm coding. I'll take better notes, and report back.

Thanks!

Monday, February 7, 2011 1:26 AM
  • I wanted to report back that this is NOT related to Power Tools. It's happening again to me right now on a machine I am remoted into. Cut/copy/paste not working on remote VS 2010. Power Tools are NOT installed on the remote machine, OR the local machine. If anyone has a fix. I'd be interested. Very annoying, and of course, it always happens when you least want it to! Otherwise, I'll have to wait for the fix.

One more thing. I'm not sure I would agree with it being a "Windows Issue". If I close all VS 2010 instances, and restart, cut/copy/paste work again... fyi

• Marked as answer by BSavoie Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:15 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:15 AM
  • I was simply saying there was a known, Windows clipboard bug (not speculation, the Windows team has said as much) that is exacerbated by the way WPF interacts with the Win32 clipboard, it is further excacerbated by something in the pro power tools, what I am not sure as I didn't investigate the bug, just going on what a person more familiar with the issue said.

If this is what you are experiencing or not is impossible to tell without a repro. 

1:  Is it ONLY happening in VS? 

2:  Is it ONLY happening when you are running under remote desktop? 

3:  When it happens is it just the keyboard commands that stop working or do the menu items for Cut/Copy/Paste also not work? 

4:  If you change the focus in the IDE (say away from the editor and then back to it) does it start working again? 

5:  Do you have the Document Outline Window open when this occurs? 

6:  Are you editing HTML at the time it happens?

Ryan

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:04 AM
  • I am having a similar issue.  The cut-copy-paste no longer works on my Windows 7 in any application.  The only thing installed recently was IE9.  Not sure if that has any thing to do with it.  Is there a registry setting I can check or something like that.

CTRL+C =No

CTRL+V=No

CTRL+A=Yes

CTRL+Z=Yes

Seems weird that those two do not work.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mark

Mark OCampo

Friday, March 9, 2012 7:13 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem in Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 7.

I installed VS2012 Update 3 (KB2707250) and Update for VS 2012 (KB2781514) a few days ago. Also a slew of things for Office and a bunch for Windows (via automatic Update).

After I cut or copy in VS, paste is disabled on menus and keyboard shortcuts. Occasionally, cut or copy fails to have any effect. Clipboard History is empty as a cubical parsec of empty space (never mind the vacuum foam). Restarting VS doesn't help, although restarting Windows just did. 

I have only a small handful of extensions installed: DevExpress Tools (also running CodeRush), MS Web Developer tools, NuGet Package Manager, Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for Javascript. Haven't attempted to uninstall any of these.

I'm not involved in any aspect of remoting.

So it's in VS 2012 as well as 2010.

I'd appreciate continued effort on this issue.

Thanks,

Chuck

Co-Author of C# 2005-2010 for Dummies

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:41 PM
  • I've got the same problem, too many times (3 years laters) still no patch ? After rebooting VS every copy / cut / paste seem to work fine...

EDIT: Actually no... When no solution is open copy paste work fine, but when I load a solution it stop working, even in outlook... But still work in SQL Developer app...

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:22 AM
  • I'm experiencing a similar issue in VS 2017:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/acb25216-a185-4269-9149-0477e8ab38e7/copypaste-in-visual-studio-2017-breaks-windows-10-clipboard-possibly-only-after-using-rdp?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Interestingly, a workaround for me was to lock and unlock the computer. Maybe this reset something that was improperly set via RDP.

Curious to hear if this works for anyone else...

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:59 PM