none
How to import a filename.ico into existing project RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Visual Studio 15 but can't figure out how to import a png converted to a icon (online). Can anyone walk me through the steps ? I need to assign the image a IDI_ICON2 id.  

I am new to Visual Studios 2015 so please be patient with me.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:49 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for posting here.

>>I'm using Visual Studio 15 but can't figure out how to import a png converted to a icon (online). Can anyone walk me through the steps ? I need to assign the image a IDI_ICON2 id.  

If you want to import a png converted to a icon, I suggest you could search for the online tool to help you doing this. So many tools can do this job.

I'm not sure what's the type of your project is, so I create a simple windows console application to show you the detailed steps. I suggest you copy the .ico file to your project folder first. before that, I suggest you check the project folder first. If your project folder doesn't have a "res" folder, I suggest you create a folder named "res", and Copy the icon file to the "res" folder. like this:

Then open the Resource View Window, and right-click the application. choose Add>resource>icon>Input , choose your icon.  like this:

After that Click the icon, and change the ID in the properties window, like this:

After these, Ctrl+S save all the works. 

Best Wishes,

Jack

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Guido Franzke Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vikki Mehra Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:18 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:41 AM

All replies

• Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:03 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for posting here.

>>I'm using Visual Studio 15 but can't figure out how to import a png converted to a icon (online). Can anyone walk me through the steps ? I need to assign the image a IDI_ICON2 id.  

If you want to import a png converted to a icon, I suggest you could search for the online tool to help you doing this. So many tools can do this job.

I'm not sure what's the type of your project is, so I create a simple windows console application to show you the detailed steps. I suggest you copy the .ico file to your project folder first. before that, I suggest you check the project folder first. If your project folder doesn't have a "res" folder, I suggest you create a folder named "res", and Copy the icon file to the "res" folder. like this:

Then open the Resource View Window, and right-click the application. choose Add>resource>icon>Input , choose your icon.  like this:

After that Click the icon, and change the ID in the properties window, like this:

After these, Ctrl+S save all the works. 

Best Wishes,

Jack

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Guido Franzke Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:58 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:41 AM
  • Hello Jack. We're using a dialog based application. The problem that I see right now is that when I import the converted file which is suppose to be a ICO it turns out that it has png and gets imported as a bitmap. 
    • Unmarked as answer by Vikki Mehra Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:18 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:57 PM
  • Hello Jack. We're using a dialog based application. The problem that I see right now is that when I import the converted file which is suppose to be a ICO it turns out that it has png and gets imported as a bitmap. 
    It's working now thanks everyone.
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 8:19 PM