none
VC incremental linking limitation - 256M ilk file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    In my VC 2005 project, the number of object files has exceeded 2800, and the incremental linking doesn't work.
    Error like this:
    fatal error LNK1210: exceeded internal ILK size limit; link with /INCREMENTAL:NO
    It seems the ilk file has a limit of 256M. I suffer that it takes about 30 minutes to have a full link when I make any slight change in code! Most of my time is spent on waiting for linking.
    Is there any approach to solve the problem or to change the limit?
    Thanks!
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:44 AM

Answers

• This would appear to be a hard limit in the linker itself. So unfortunately no, there would be no way to do what you want.

Right now, the only thing I could suggest is to try your project with VC2008 or VC2010 to see if the linker has changed any.

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at
    http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:25 AM

All replies

• This would appear to be a hard limit in the linker itself. So unfortunately no, there would be no way to do what you want.

Right now, the only thing I could suggest is to try your project with VC2008 or VC2010 to see if the linker has changed any.

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at
    http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Hi Skyshore,

Unfortunately, 256MB is the size limitation for the ILK file in VS2005.

Start from VS2008, we did increase the ILK size limit from 256MB to 384MB, and when running under WoW64 on a 64-bit machine from 384MB to 768MB, after setting the /3GB Startup Switch in Windows.

We recommend you upgrade to VS2008 or VS2010. You can download the trail version (full edition with time limit) to see if it fulfill your request.

We're always looking for suggestions and feedback from our customers. Please use the MSDN Product Feedback Center to submit your suggestions. Our developer will evaluate them seriously and take them into consideration when designing future release or service pack of the Visual C++.

Improving the quality of our products and services is a never ending process for Microsoft.

Thank you very much.

Yi Feng Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:52 AM
  • The explanation seems valid from the theory of virtual address space being 4 GB, but about the recommendation of trying on VS 2010; I am already running on:

Visual Studio 2010 Professional Version 4.0.30319 SP1 1Rel

Is there anything which could be looked into, other than doing away with the Incremental Linking ?

Saturday, June 9, 2012 6:50 AM