none
A few versions of Visual Studio on one computer RRS feed

• Question

• If I installed VS Community edition 2017 over VS 2015, shall I uninstall 2015 or keep it? The same question is applied to SQL Server. Shall I uninstall earlier versions? Thanks.
    Friday, May 25, 2018 10:30 PM

All replies

• I have Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017. Shall I uninstall 2015? The same question concerns SQL Server.

I posted this question on a Visual Studio forum but my post was the only one, perhaps the only one ever, so I apologize for duplication.

Thanks.

Friday, May 25, 2018 11:15 PM
  • >If I installed VS Community edition 2017 over VS 2015, shall I uninstall 2015 or keep it? The same question is applied to SQL Server. Shall I uninstall earlier versions? Thanks.

I can't speak for SQL server, but different versions of VS should be able to coexist.

As to whether you need them to is really down to you and if you need 2015 once you've got 2017. I no longer have 2015 installed.

Dave

Friday, May 25, 2018 11:49 PM
  • I see you also posted this in the VS forum and that is where it belongs. Before posting here the other thread should be seen.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, May 25, 2018 11:54 PM
  • Two versions of visual studio should be fine. As long as removing one with another installed doesn't cause problems with the newer installation.

As far as SQL server that depends on what is using the SQL servers I suppose as far as removing older versions maybe.

La vida loca

Saturday, May 26, 2018 12:25 AM
  • Unless you are short on hard drive space keep them both. If you need to remove older versions remove both then reinstall the newer version to be on the safe side.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Saturday, May 26, 2018 1:02 AM
  • I would think this question should be in the VS forum and if so then that is the one that should be replied to.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, May 26, 2018 3:20 AM
  • I had to install MS SQL Management Studio 2017 yesterday. While installing it began updating Visual Studio 2015 which I don't use any longer. Not only that it got stuck there for hours and never finished. I almost have no choice but to remove Visual Studio 2015, but I wanted to find out if there is a standard recommendation to resolve such situations.

Thanks.

• Edited by MyCatAlex Saturday, May 26, 2018 2:46 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2018 11:38 AM