none
outlook addins will keep OUTLOOK.EXE running after outlook is closed

Question

• Hi,

I found this problem at the testing time.  Then I created an simple Office 2007/Outlook add-ins using VS Team System 2008(vsto 3.0) without adding any code by myself then pulished it.  After I install it with Click once on a
    Vista machine with office 2007 installed.  Open Outlook then close it, I can see the OUTLOOK.EXE process still running task manager.  If I uninstall the new add-ins, the OUTLOOK.EXE process will be properly closed
    after the outlook is closed.  Anyone can tell me what I am missing to make the outlook working properly.

Thanks

Wei

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:12 PM

Answers

• This is a big problem as there are loads of things which cause Outlook to not unload and some of them are not as obvious as you may think.

The Articles mentioned by Ji are very relevant but people who install Skype or Live Messenger, these applications hook into the Contacts and sometimes don't shutdown properly, skype is a bad culprit here. Also the good old Active Sync application that hooks to sync with your mobile will potentially load on startup and will then have a hidden session of outlook open until active sync is closed.

VSTO and well written Addins that handle the references correctly are fine, annoyingly other applications that don't do this often are not "pointed" to as the culprit when they are not as visible and obvious on the surface.

Regards

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:41 AM
  • After uninstall the CRM add-in the problem is gone.  The MSFT CRM team is working on the hot fix for this issue.

Thanks.

Wei

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:00 PM

All replies

• Outlook remains in process usually occurs when RCW hold reference for Outlook Object. Read http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2204110&SiteID=1 and http://blogs.msdn.com/geoffda/archive/2007/08/31/the-designer-process-that-would-not-terminate.aspx for more detailed information.

The empty project should not face such an issue. However, when Add in is loaded, Outlook will remain in memory for some time to finish unloading and clearing task. It will terminate by itself later. The time costing may depend on the machine's status and how many CPU time Outlook will get to run. Have you tried to wait for one minute to see if Outlook exit by itself.

Thanks,

Ji

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:30 AM
  • This is a big problem as there are loads of things which cause Outlook to not unload and some of them are not as obvious as you may think.

The Articles mentioned by Ji are very relevant but people who install Skype or Live Messenger, these applications hook into the Contacts and sometimes don't shutdown properly, skype is a bad culprit here. Also the good old Active Sync application that hooks to sync with your mobile will potentially load on startup and will then have a hidden session of outlook open until active sync is closed.

VSTO and well written Addins that handle the references correctly are fine, annoyingly other applications that don't do this often are not "pointed" to as the culprit when they are not as visible and obvious on the surface.

Regards

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:41 AM
  •  

The testing machine is Outlook 2007 SP1  running on Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.

1, Start Outlook  and  make sure all Add-Ins are removed or disabled.

2, Close Outlook and Install “Blank” Outlook Add-in which was build using Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition.

3, Start Outlook and Verify that Add-in was installed.

4, Close Outlook and Start Task Manager – Outlook.exe process does not Terminate  (even after 15 minutes).   When this Empty project Outlook Add-In was not installed – Outlook Terminates within a few seconds.

We tested this issue on XP machine and the outlook.exe process will be closed after the outlook is closed.

I have no way to attached my project files here so you can try to see if you will see the same thing on vista machine.  Do you have any suggest I should try to see if we can make the OUTLOOK.EXE process be released after Outlook application closed.

Thanks.

Wei

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:16 PM
  • After uninstall the CRM add-in the problem is gone.  The MSFT CRM team is working on the hot fix for this issue.

Thanks.

Wei

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:00 PM