none
Cannot open report in VS2017 RRS feed

• Question

• I have converted a winforms project that uses Microsoft.reportViewer.Winforms 12.0.0.0 from VS2015 to VS2017.

When I try to open a report it defaults to XML code instead of opening the report in report designer. If I highlight the report and right click I do not see Report Designer as an option as I did in VS2015. Instead the default is "Common Editor Factory".

What do I need to do to be able to open it in Report Designer.

Thanks.    

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can run it from any folder, try to install the other extension and check the result. If you can't install any one, run the installer as administrator and disable any Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware software on your computer.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by J-Bal Monday, November 13, 2017 8:21 PM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please go to Tools>Extensions and Update>Online, search with the keyword like 'Microsoft rdlc report' and we can find the extension: Microsoft Rdlc Report Designer for Visual Studio as below, click the 'Download' to install or please access the extension download page: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=SqlReportingServices.MicrosoftRdlcReportDesignerforVisualStudio-18001 to download, then manually install this extension.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:21 AM
  • I downloaded the extension from within VS2017 and it said it would schedule it. Does this mean it will install it the next time Windows does an update? I can't find the vix file on my local drive.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean that you get the message like the screenshot?

You need to close visual studio, and the process of the installation will start.

Besides, access the extension download page: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=SqlReportingServices.MicrosoftRdlcReportDesignerforVisualStudio-18001 to download, then manually install this extension(it also need to close visual studio).

Best regards,

Joyce

Friday, November 10, 2017 5:07 AM
  • I downloaded the file from the website manually and ran the .vis installer but nothing happens. It says it is initializing and then nothing else. I am running it from my documents folder. Do I need to have it in a different folder somewhere?

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

You can run it from any folder, try to install the other extension and check the result. If you can't install any one, run the installer as administrator and disable any Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware software on your computer.

Best regards,

Joyce

• Marked as answer by J-Bal Monday, November 13, 2017 8:21 PM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Ok, I got the extension loaded and I see the files in the folder below. However, I still don't see it in the options for opening the report (.rdlc). Is there something else I need to do (or another folder that it needs to be in)?

Thanks.

Monday, November 13, 2017 3:37 PM
  • Never mind. I apparently downloaded the reporting services installer instead of the report rdlc design. Once I downloaded and installed the correct one it worked fine and I was able to see the report designer as an option.

Thanks.

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:20 PM