none
How do you properly disconnect SSRS from a TFS 2010 instance?

Question

• Long story short, we accidentally managed to configure two different TFS application tiers to use the same instance of SSRS.  I know it's not supported, clearly, but here we are. We figured this out because all of the reports on the original instance (TFS2012) stopped working shortly after a second instance (TFS2010) was stood up.  After some troubleshooting we found that the connection strings for the TFS2010OlapReportDS and TFS2010ReportDS databases on SSRS pointed to the new TFS instance and not the original one. But the reports on the new TFS instance don't work either, I would have assumed that ONE of the instances would have had reporting that worked.

I figured a good first step was turning off Reporting on the new TFS instance, and then reconfiguring the original server again in an effort to "reset" the connection to SSRS.  But I cannot turn off reporting on the second instance (TFS 2010).  I was able to turn off reporting successfully in the original instance, which is TFS2012.

I assume that normally I *should* be able to do this, just un-check the "Use Reporting" feature and it's gone right? Maybe there is something amiss with the TFS 2010 instance? It is brand new, so not sure how it could already be messed up.

Here is the error I receive when I try to "turn off" reporting on the TFS 2010 instance:

If you go to the Reports folder our on the TFS report server, you can see all of the reports for all of the team projects across the two TFS instances, and the reports are there but do not open for either instance of TFS.  Instead you always get this error:
    • An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
      • Query execution failed for dataset 'dsIteration'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand)
        • For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

Ideas? How can I reconfigure SSRS and fix it?

Angela Dugan

• Edited by Angela Ann DuganMVP Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:07 PM
    • Moved by Forrest GuoModerator Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:34 PM forums restructure (From:Team Foundation Server - Reporting & Warehouse)
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:02 PM

Answers

• OK, I got desperate and tried a different order of operations "Hail Mary" type of strategy and it worked!

I could not turn off reporting on the second TFS instance for some reason, but it occurred to me that the error message I was getting ("the database is not properly configured") was rather generic and could mean a LOT of things. And alas I do not have remote login access to the SSRS instance (don't get me started), so I couldn't even do research on it.  So instead I focused on getting that instance WORKING with SSRS even through the end goal was turning off reporting.  I went to the original TFS app tier that had been connected to SSRS successfully, and went into the Admin Console and unchecked "Use Reporting". That worked great of course.

Next I went back to the second TFS Instance, and via the Admin Console I entered the SSRS configuration information back in, started all the jobs and rebuilt the warehouse. Once reporting was working again, I tried to turn it off again, and this time when I unchecked "Use Reporting" it was successful.  So apparently if reporting is broken, you cannot turn it off. Great.

Anyway, next I went back to the original TFS Instance, reconfigured reporting through the admin console and it all works perfectly again. Oy, I need a drink.

Angela Dugan

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:40 PM

All replies

• OK, I got desperate and tried a different order of operations "Hail Mary" type of strategy and it worked!

I could not turn off reporting on the second TFS instance for some reason, but it occurred to me that the error message I was getting ("the database is not properly configured") was rather generic and could mean a LOT of things. And alas I do not have remote login access to the SSRS instance (don't get me started), so I couldn't even do research on it.  So instead I focused on getting that instance WORKING with SSRS even through the end goal was turning off reporting.  I went to the original TFS app tier that had been connected to SSRS successfully, and went into the Admin Console and unchecked "Use Reporting". That worked great of course.

Next I went back to the second TFS Instance, and via the Admin Console I entered the SSRS configuration information back in, started all the jobs and rebuilt the warehouse. Once reporting was working again, I tried to turn it off again, and this time when I unchecked "Use Reporting" it was successful.  So apparently if reporting is broken, you cannot turn it off. Great.

Anyway, next I went back to the original TFS Instance, reconfigured reporting through the admin console and it all works perfectly again. Oy, I need a drink.

Angela Dugan

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Hi Angela,

Thanks for sharing the experiences here, which is very helpful and is benefit to other community members having the similar issue.

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:57 AM