"Device is not ready error" when quieuing build from tfs

Question

• Hi,

I have been getting "Device is not ready" error whenever I am trying to queue the build from tfs. I have checked all the related service like test controller, build agent are running fine. I am not able to automate the build process because of this error.

Looking forward for replies.

Thanks

Gomti

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Gomti,

Thanks for your reply.

You said that only this one Build Definition occurred this issue. So I want to know that:

1        If other Build Definition using the MTM-Agent1 build agent to queue Build, ensure can build completely.

2        Specific another build agent for this one Build Definition, ensure can queue build completely.

Under Team Explorer, right-click Builds node and select Manage Build Controllers…, check MTM-Agent1’s status is Available. You also can restart this MTM-Agnet1 agent in TFS Admin Console.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Gomti,

Thanks for your post.

In order to resolve this issue, I want to confirm some information with you:

1        Queue this Build Definition on other clients, will occur the same issue?

2        Queue this Build Definition on the TFS Server machine, will occur the same issue?

3        Change this Build Definition’s build controller and build agent, then queue it, still receive this issue?

4        Only one Build Definition or all Build Definitions occur this issue?

5        Ensure you Build Service configure correctly and work normally.

6        Where you perform queue the Build Definition and under which detailed step this issue happened?

7        What’s the version of your VS and TFS?

Try to clean the Cache manually:

1.       Clean the Cache folder on client computer. The folder path is: C:\Users\username(Team Explorer user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\3.0\Cache(os: Windows Server 2008 R2)

2.      Clean the Cache folder on Server machine. The folder path is: C:\Users\username(Web access user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\3.0\Cache(os: Windows Server 2008 R2)

3.      After cleaned, on Server machine, click Start and select Run… to open the dialog box, then input iisreset.exe and click OK, wait it run completely.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 3, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hi Gomti,

What about the progress for this issue?

John Qiao [MSFT]

Monday, June 6, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hi John,

First of all, thanks for the response. I waited for long for replies and almost lost hope that I will get any response. This moring thought of checking once more. I am going to try the steps you told and and will get back with the result.

Thanks again for the response.

Gomti

Monday, June 6, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Hi John,

Before trying the steps, here is the error that I have been geting with complete diagnostic details. I feel the problem is with the Agent configuration looking at this error, you might tell better.

Overall Build Process

Initial Property Values
    AgentSettings = Use agent where Name=* and Tags contain SL.Tests; Max Wait Time: 04:00:00
    BinariesSubdirectory =
    ConfigurationFolderPath = $/NetAdvantage/DEV/XAML/2011.1/Tests/Builds/SL
    DoNotDownloadBuildType = False
    LogFilePerProject = False
    MSBuildArguments =
    MSBuildPlatform = X86
    RecursionType = OneLevel
    SourcesSubdirectory =
    TestResultsSubdirectory =
    Verbosity = Diagnostic

00:00

Get the Build

Update Build Number

Initial Property Values
    BuildNumberFormat = $(BuildDefinitionName)_$(Date:yyyyMMdd)$(Rev:.r)

Final Property Values
    BuildNumberFormat = $(BuildDefinitionName)_$(Date:yyyyMMdd)$(Rev:.r)
    Result = Silverlight.Tests_20110606.5

00:01

Run On Agent (reserved build agent MTM - Agent1)

Initial Property Values
    MaxExecutionTime = 00:00:00
    MaxWaitTime = 04:00:00
    ReservationSpec = Name=*, Tags=SL.Tests

Get the Build Directory

Initial Property Values
    Result = E:\Work\1\102

If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(ConfigurationFolderPath)

Initial Property Values
    Condition = True

Run TfsBuild for Configuration Folder

The device is not ready.

Final Property Values
    MaxExecutionTime = 00:00:00
    MaxWaitTime = 04:00:00
    ReservationSpec = Name=*, Tags=SL.Tests

Final Property Values
    AgentSettings = Use agent where Name=* and Tags contain SL.Tests; Max Wait Time: 04:00:00
    BinariesSubdirectory =
    MSBuildArguments =
    MSBuildPlatform = X86
    RecursionType = OneLevel
    SourcesSubdirectory =
    Verbosity = Diagnostic

Initial Property Values
    BinariesSubdirectory =
    BuildDirectory = E:\Work\1\102
    CommandLineArguments =
    MaxProcesses = 1
    RecursionType = OneLevel
    SourcesSubdirectory =
    ToolPath =
    ToolPlatform = X86
    Verbosity = Diagnostic

Final Property Values
    BinariesSubdirectory =
    BuildDirectory = E:\Work\1\102
    CommandLineArguments =
    MaxProcesses = 1
    RecursionType = OneLevel
    SourcesSubdirectory =
    ToolPath =
    ToolPlatform = X86
    Verbosity = Diagnostic

Final Property Values
    Condition = True

I tried

1        Queue this Build Definition on other clients, will occur the same issue? - Got same issue.

2        Queue this Build Definition on the TFS Server machine, will occur the same issue? - Can't do this, do not have permission to queue on tfs server machine.

3        Change this Build Definition’s build controller and build agent, then queue it, still receive this issue? - Tried changing the build controller, got error saying "It does not have a build agent with name *.

4        Only one Build Definition or all Build Definitions occur this issue? - Only this build definition has this issue, other build definitions using same build controller are working fine.

5        Ensure you Build Service configure correctly and work normally. - We have a lot of restrcitions here, only release team has permissions to do configurations, what I can see from the configuration is that, it is configured on tfsservice account in the domain and is configured as a Windows service, not as an interactive service, dont know if that can be an issue.

6. I tried to queue it from my physical machine and also from a VM. I dont do much, I login to tfs and just right click on the build and select Queue build.

7. Version of my TFS/VS 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel

8. Cleared the cache on the client, can't clear it on the server, do not have permissions.

Thanks

Gomti

Monday, June 6, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Hi Gomti,

Thanks for your reply.

You said that only this one Build Definition occurred this issue. So I want to know that:

1        If other Build Definition using the MTM-Agent1 build agent to queue Build, ensure can build completely.

2        Specific another build agent for this one Build Definition, ensure can queue build completely.

Under Team Explorer, right-click Builds node and select Manage Build Controllers…, check MTM-Agent1’s status is Available. You also can restart this MTM-Agnet1 agent in TFS Admin Console.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hi Gomti,

Have you tried that?

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:11 AM