none
MSINET.OCX not correctly registered in Windows 7

Question

• I am trying to move VB5 Professional and its applications from XP to a new computer with Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
    I have installed VB5 Professional on it from the original CD and it runs from c:\Program Files (x86)
    However I have run into two problems:
    1. When I open and run a vb project which uses MSINET.OCX, at that point in the code I get an error ‘msinet.ocx not correctly registered: file is missing or invalid’.
    I can see that the ocx is present in these locations : c:\Windows\System32\ and c:\Windows\SysWOW64.
    I have run regsvr32 msinet.ocx as administrator but get a popup ‘may not be compatible with the version of Windows you are running’
    Problem remains
    2. XPMode is installed but when I try to open VB5 in it I get the message ‘unexpected error; quitting’. So I can’t run VB in XP.
    How do I resolve both of these issues please ?
    Many thanks
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:52 PM

Answers

• The following infomation is from this link http://angrybyte.com/windows-hacks/msinet-ocx-for-64-bit-windows-7-vista/

MSINET.OCX is a file required by many old application in order to parse HTML pages . This OCX will not register as most of know, by putting in in the system32 folder and typing the command “regsvr32 MSINET.OCX”. With newer 64 bit systems it is a bit tricky. Here is how to do it

1. download the file here

2. Copy it to c:\windows\syswow64

3. type the following “Run” command “CMD” then right click the command prompt search result and hit “run as administrator”, in the command prompt type:                            “regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\MSINET.OCX” and yes, you must type the full path to the file, not just the name.

4. That’s it it should work now.

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:35 PM

All replies

• The following infomation is from this link http://angrybyte.com/windows-hacks/msinet-ocx-for-64-bit-windows-7-vista/

MSINET.OCX is a file required by many old application in order to parse HTML pages . This OCX will not register as most of know, by putting in in the system32 folder and typing the command “regsvr32 MSINET.OCX”. With newer 64 bit systems it is a bit tricky. Here is how to do it

1. download the file here

2. Copy it to c:\windows\syswow64

3. type the following “Run” command “CMD” then right click the command prompt search result and hit “run as administrator”, in the command prompt type:                            “regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\MSINET.OCX” and yes, you must type the full path to the file, not just the name.

4. That’s it it should work now.

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Why are you pointing to a malware site for file downloads?

digitally, only digitally!

Saturday, March 28, 2015 6:58 AM