Install problem Error Code 2908

Question

• I'm really regretting I tried installing this application.

I ran the msi file and before it could complete the installation, I received the following error message:
    "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.  this may indicate a problem with this package.  The error code is 2908."

Now, I can't even open Microsoft office, without received an error message.  I uninstalled and reinstalled office but still get the error.  I don't think office will work again unless I figure out why received this 2908 error code and how to remove any files that were installed

Very frustrated.  Please help.

Friday, March 12, 2010 7:17 PM

All replies

• What OS version of Windows are you running on?  The StockTrader install does not modify/add or change any Windows System components; so my guess is somehow the Windows Installer itself is corrupt on your system (hence issues with other apps such as Office that use the Windows Installer).  Can you remove the Windows installer, then re-install the latest version?

-Greg
    Greg Leake, Microsoft
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hi there, i have spent 3 days and tried everythign mentioned on all the forums to resolve this error but it didnt work.

SOLUTION: Finally , i ran the clean up utility mentioned in the below utility, it removes all .net framework versions from your system. And then my MSOFFICE installed perfectly. Now i will install .net 4 framework.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:43 AM