none
serviceModel/Bindings error

Question

• I am testing a clickonce deployed, Internet app on newly installed Vista Ultimate and newly installed .NET 3.0, XP systems.

The app tests fine on the development machine (XP, .NET 3.0)

The error message is:

An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for system.serviceModel/bindings: Could not load type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.BindingsSectionGroup' from assembly 'System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'. (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 102)

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:05 PM

Answers

• That event log doesn't provide anything specific we could use.  What Vista type/version are you using here?  If you have the same app working on Winxp and Vista RC1, that kind of ruled out the cause from the app itself - this is more likely a Vista machine setup issue.  I recommend compare the IIS setup check boxes on both Vista machines and see if they are same, than verify the credential/permissions setup on those Vista machines to see what's different that could have caused this issue.  If that didn't work out, you might want to try uninstall WCF and a clean reinstall after that...
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 11:45 PM

All replies

• Could you provide C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 102 please?

I have seen these kind of old app failing on a Vista OS a lot lately, most of them are becasue of the new UAC on Vista machine.  You will have to elevate the user privilege on a Vista machine in order to do certain things even though you might already logged on as admin.  Also the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config folder on Vista becomes a protected folder, and even admin don't have provilege to modify it by default.  To get around that, you can do one of the two things listed below:

1. use cacls.exe tool to change the folder/file security settings to allow access to your account.

2. manually change the owner of the folder to an admin account first, than grant corresponding permission to the account you need.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Line 102:

<section name="bindings" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.BindingsSection, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

A couple of points:

1.    Can you explain what you mean by "old app". The app is developed on Visual Studio 2005 with latest .NET 3.0 on XP.

2.    The app also fails on XP with latest .NET 3.0 download.

3     Manual change of permissions is not an option as the app is clickonce deployed from Internet.

4     The app runs but produces the error when it first tries to access the WCF service.

Thanks

John

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:02 PM
  •  johnvarney wrote:

Line 102:

<section name="bindings" type="System.ServiceModel.Configuration.BindingsSection, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

A couple of points:

1.    Can you explain what you mean by "old app". The app is developed on Visual Studio 2005 with latest .NET 3.0 on XP.

2.    The app also fails on XP with latest .NET 3.0 download.

3     Manual change of permissions is not an option as the app is clickonce deployed from Internet.

4     The app runs but produces the error when it first tries to access the WCF service.

Thanks

John

The line in machine.config is fine, although it is line 101 in my WinXP SP2 installation.  Could you do the following on your WinXP machine to ensure your asp.net is enabled correctly?

1. %windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis -i

2. iisreset

3. C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg.exe" /r /x /nologo /v /y

Rerun your application after this and see if this will help.

Thanks.

johnvarney wrote:

I am testing a clickonce deployed, Internet app on newly installed Vista Ultimate and newly installed .NET 3.0, XP systems.

The app tests fine on the development machine (XP, .NET 3.0)

By "old app" I was talking about applications developed  on Non-Vista machines and now need to run on Vista platform.

Your original post suggested that the app was working fine under .Net3.0 + WinXP, only start failing when run on Vista + .Net 3.0, but since your latest post says: "The app also fails on XP with latest .NET 3.0 download."  I take itthat's not the case?

If the app also fails under .Net 3.0 on WinXP machine, I suggest fix the issue on Winxp first before you try to migrate to a Vista platform...

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 11:17 PM
  • Thanks Jeff

Sorry, I gave you a bit of misinformation. I have resolved the .NET 3.0 + WinXP issue - it was an unrelated error that occurred when the service was being accessed. I had some bad data.

The config line is line 101 in WinXP and line 102 on the Vista machine.

To confirm, I now only have the error I referred to on Vista.

Before my first post, I had tried the ServiceModelReg,exe but with /i switch (saw that in some other post somewhere).

John

Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:40 AM
  •  johnvarney wrote:

Thanks Jeff

Sorry, I gave you a bit of misinformation. I have resolved the .NET 3.0 + WinXP issue - it was an unrelated error that occurred when the service was being accessed. I had some bad data.

The config line is line 101 in WinXP and line 102 on the Vista machine.

To confirm, I now only have the error I referred to on Vista.

Before my first post, I had tried the ServiceModelReg,exe but with /i switch (saw that in some other post somewhere).

John

Good, so we are one step closer to making this work now.

Could you tell me how you are launching the app?  Which user account are you running this app under?  If you open an elevated command window and run your app there, does that change the error message in any way?

Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:55 AM
  • The app is clickonce deployed and installed so that it is on the start menu.

It starts up fine but gets the error when it tries to access the WCF service.

The account is an administrator account on the Vista PC. Right clicking on the app icon does not show "Run as Administrator" and it seems to have full control.

John

Thursday, February 15, 2007 1:19 AM
  • There is a couple of things you could do to help ID the issue:

1. find out if you can launch the application with a command line exe, if you can, run it under an Admin mode cmd window.  In Vista even when you are logged on to the machine as admin, you don't have the administrative privilege by default untill you elevate it explicitly, so in this case, running your app from the start menu might not give it the required privilege it needs.  To ensure your app is running using Administrative privilege, you need to run it on Vista like this:

luaexec.exe -f App.exe

2. could you check the event viewer and see what kind of error message you got when the app fails?

Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:03 PM
  • This is the XML error

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
      <Level>4</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-02-15T20:19:09.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>4560</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>TestComp</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>18329708</Data>
      <Data>5</Data>
      <Data>CLR20r3</Data>
      <Data>None</Data>
      <Data>0</Data>
      <Data>glomey.exe</Data>
      <Data>0.6.2601.1789</Data>
      <Data>45d371af</Data>
      <Data>System.Configuration</Data>
      <Data>2.0.0.0</Data>
      <Data>4536f318</Data>
      <Data>9d</Data>
      <Data>48</Data>
      <Data>IOIBMURHYNRXKW0ZXKYRVFN0BOYYUFOW</Data>
      <Data />
      <Data>C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6824.tmp.version.txt C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7813.tmp.mdmp</Data>
      <Data>C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report129ba106</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Sorry Jeff, luaexec does not seem to be on this Vista machine and I am not familiar with it.
    John
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 8:35 PM
  • Jeff

I opened an admin cmd window and navigated to the app clickonce install folder. Ran the app and got the same error.

By the way, we have another pc with Vista RC1 and that works fine.

John

Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:21 PM
  • That event log doesn't provide anything specific we could use.  What Vista type/version are you using here?  If you have the same app working on Winxp and Vista RC1, that kind of ruled out the cause from the app itself - this is more likely a Vista machine setup issue.  I recommend compare the IIS setup check boxes on both Vista machines and see if they are same, than verify the credential/permissions setup on those Vista machines to see what's different that could have caused this issue.  If that didn't work out, you might want to try uninstall WCF and a clean reinstall after that...
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Jeff,

I did a complete clean install of Vista and the app worked. The previous Vista had been an upgrade on RC1 - don't know if that was an issue.

Thanks for your help.

John

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:50 AM