none
Unmanaged host App catching events from managed

Question

• I want to host a managed assembly (decrypted from resources) on a C++
    application. The first step is done and works.

but I have a problem, if a missing assembly is not found when I execute the dynamic loaded assembly the application don't start and no "_com_error" is thrown.

I saw a bunch of methods exposed by the interface _AppDomain:

add_UnhandledException
    remove_UnhandledException
    add_AssemblyResolve
    remove_AssemblyResolve

How to handle those events from the C++ using COM interop to access .NET?

TIA,
    ramon

Tuesday, November 1, 2005 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Ramon,

If you're using v2.0 of the runtime, you can provide an IHostControl::GetHostManager call to provide the CLR with an IHostAssemblyManager when it asks for one.  The IHostAssemblyManager interface has a method which the CLR calls to get an IHostAssemblyStore.  IHostAssemblyStore allows you to specify assemblies that your store will not load (such as mscorlib, system, system.xml, etc) and also has a ProvideAssembly method where you can supply the CLR with the assembly you've loaded from your resources.

-Shawn

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 4:50 PM
  • Make sure that you're returning an assembly with teh correct architecture.  I believe the CLR will first ask you for a processor-specific assembly, then a neutral one.  Depending on what you're supplying, you'll need to respond to only one of those requests.

-Shawn

Friday, November 18, 2005 3:56 PM

All replies

• Ramon,
      could you provide us with a bit more detail? What version of .Net are you using? How are you hosting the assembly? What is your intention when you discover the unhandeled exception? There are several potential methods for resolving this issue and I want to find the one that works best for your situation.

Thanks,
      Piotr
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 1:29 AM
  • Hi Ramon,

If you're using v2.0 of the runtime, you can provide an IHostControl::GetHostManager call to provide the CLR with an IHostAssemblyManager when it asks for one.  The IHostAssemblyManager interface has a method which the CLR calls to get an IHostAssemblyStore.  IHostAssemblyStore allows you to specify assemblies that your store will not load (such as mscorlib, system, system.xml, etc) and also has a ProvideAssembly method where you can supply the CLR with the assembly you've loaded from your resources.

-Shawn

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for helping.

My first approach under 1.1 is over, so I will try using the new interface that Shawn is talking about.

I found a good book: "Customizing The Microsoft Dot NET Framework Common Language Runtime"

I'am following the cocoon examples, after some adjusts to make it compile on last version of version 2.0, I found new problems :/

So far, I enum GAC and set all those assemblies inside:

IHostAssemblyManager::GetNonHostStoreAssemblies

Then IHostAssemblyStore::ProvideAssembly is called only for assemblies not in the GAC (btw, don't know if this is a good aproach!?)

The problem is: even if I return the right assembly, an exception is throw saying that the assembly is missing.

Any ideas?

Friday, November 18, 2005 12:58 AM
  • Make sure that you're returning an assembly with teh correct architecture.  I believe the CLR will first ask you for a processor-specific assembly, then a neutral one.  Depending on what you're supplying, you'll need to respond to only one of those requests.

-Shawn

Friday, November 18, 2005 3:56 PM
  • Hello,

I get rid of the missing assembly exception by setting the variable [out] "pAssemblyId" in the method "ProvideAssembly" to something diferent from ZERO, maybe when the host sets the assembly ID to zero, the CRL interpret that as a failure!?

---- Assuming I'm on the rigth path, here is the next problem:

This is the exception I caught under my custom AppDomainManager
    when trying to run the main assembly (resolved on the c++ host):

Exception executing entry point: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'SampleApp, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Failed to grant permission to execute. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131418)
    File name: 'SampleApp, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' ---> System.Security.Policy.PolicyException: Execution permission cannot be acquired.
       at System.Security.SecurityManager.ResolvePolicy(Evidence evidence, PermissionSet reqdPset, PermissionSet optPset, PermissionSet denyPset, PermissionSet& denied, Boolean checkExecutionPermission)
       at System.Security.SecurityManager.ResolvePolicy(Evidence evidence, PermissionSet reqdPset, PermissionSet optPset, PermissionSet denyPset, PermissionSet& denied, Int32& securitySpecialFlags, Boolean checkExecutionPermission)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity)
       at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssemblyByName(String assemblyName, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
       at CocoonHostRuntime.CocoonDomainManager.Run(String assemblyName, String typeName) in D:\Projects\RunCocoon\CocoonHostRuntime\CocoonDomainManager.cs:line 33

Any ideas? I'm missing something for sure, but don't know what

Thank you very much,
    RB

Saturday, November 19, 2005 3:00 AM
  • I solved the problem :)

Under custom AppDomainManager
    I need to override and implement:

public override HostSecurityManager HostSecurityManager
    {
       get;
    }

This is documented on the examples form the book, but I was blind :/
    But I confirm that the "pAssemblyId" in the method "ProvideAssembly" cannot be ZERO, so if anyone compile the samples it wll not work.

bye

Saturday, November 19, 2005 1:24 PM