none
Error 3050 Could not Lock File RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using Ms Access 2000 on a Windows Server 2008 and I have four users connected on a network to the server accessing the databases through a VB6 application which is loaded on all of the users' computers.While using the VB6 program i receive the error "Error 3050 Could not lock file".I know it has to do with the .ldb file.I have checked the permission and all users have full read/write/modify rights on the drive and the folder that the databases are stored in.I checked the MaxLocksPerFile and it is set to 9500.I even tried compacting and repairing and still this error persists.

Your feedback would really be appreciated !!!

Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:29 PM

Answers

• Make sure to delete the existing .LDB file (if present) to eliminate any security issues. Also, make certain that no one is opening the database for exclusive access, which can happen by default when using Microsoft Access to open the database.

In almost every instance I've seen this problem is caused by a user or users having insufficient permissions.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, May 21, 2010 12:43 PM

All replies

• I believe that Create Files and Delete are required as well. It's usually easiest to provide Full Control.

Also, see the following for VB 6.0 questions:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvb/thread/9beafe75-bab5-4d9f-9dae-a395a994083c

Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Hi Paul

Thanks for your feedback.I have given all users full control and the problem still persists.I will also try the other forums from that link you have given me.

Thank you for your assistance.

Friday, May 21, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Make sure to delete the existing .LDB file (if present) to eliminate any security issues. Also, make certain that no one is opening the database for exclusive access, which can happen by default when using Microsoft Access to open the database.

In almost every instance I've seen this problem is caused by a user or users having insufficient permissions.

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:43 PM
  • How could an app cause this error that is not directly accessing a database on an ongoing basis (after an initial read & close db on start up)?

Is there some way of trapping this error in say.. Win XP pro?

Has anyone seen a KB/msdn article/white paper explaining this error, and siting possible causes?

I'm seeing nothing in the event log.

Monday, March 7, 2011 7:30 PM
  • I would recommend posting a new question and providing a bit more detail. I'm assuming you are using Visual Basic .NET and have a code example you can post.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 9:10 PM