none
Python Error on code run. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, first of all I would like to explain that I am fairly new to coding and completely new to VS (2015 or otherwise).

Both desktop and laptop are win10 pro. fully up to date. With specs well exceeding recommended. I am using the community edition of VS2015.

I have VS2015 set up on my desktop (set up a couple of weeks ago, not longer than 4 weeks ago.) that works fine, I can write in python run, troubleshoot. Basically play with code and ideas I'm learning else where (I wont say where as I unsure on advertising the site I'm currently using. Its  a browser base environment)

I've been lucky enough to have had a nice new shiny laptop in the last week. After updating, upgrading and getting basic progs and apps to how I want, I came to install VS2015 with Python. I installed only the Python language as I'm looking to learn that before progressing (hopefully) the like of C++ C# JS .net ect. I've installed the most recent Python 3 from their .org site. I can open a new project, choose 'Python Application' which is second on the list. Code, have intellisense (sp?) work ect.

However, when I run the code (via start or F5) I am met with the following error to which my 'Search engine-Fu' has turned up nothing constructive. 

The environment "New Environment 1" appears to be incorrectly configured or missing. You may need to install Python 2.7 or re-create a virtual environment. (unable to upload image due to unverified account. No email received? side ideas? Edit: It's due to lack of MSDN subs.)

Any help, ideas or advice would be most greatly appreciated. I'm new to VS but have an above average capability (as a 'home user') in taking direction.

Thanks in advance

~Kris

• Edited by KWolf484 Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:27 PM

Answers

• Thank you to anyone that has spent time reading this post. I have resolved the issue.

After checking the configuration on the desktop machine by information retrieve via tools>python tools>diagnostic info. I noticed that on installing  Python 3.4.3 it was not made the default interpreter. 

For anyone reading this running into the same issue with environments,
    replace python with language of choice.

Tools>Python tools>Python environments. This will open a workspace window. Select desired version of program (this case Python 3.4.3) then select the 'make is default for new projects' which is located just beneath the version you selected. Close window if desired.

Then go to the follow to remove the unwanted environment (in this case Environment 1)

Tools>Options>Python Tools>Environment options.

Select the environment you wish to remove in both 'Default environment' and 'show settings for' drop down menus to allow (ungrey) the remove environment option at the bottom of the current options window.

Definitely had a newb moment this afternoon. However know I know a little more about VS and a little more about how I can tailor environments to the code language and its version.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 4:18 PM

All replies

• Thank you to anyone that has spent time reading this post. I have resolved the issue.

After checking the configuration on the desktop machine by information retrieve via tools>python tools>diagnostic info. I noticed that on installing  Python 3.4.3 it was not made the default interpreter. 

For anyone reading this running into the same issue with environments,
    replace python with language of choice.

Tools>Python tools>Python environments. This will open a workspace window. Select desired version of program (this case Python 3.4.3) then select the 'make is default for new projects' which is located just beneath the version you selected. Close window if desired.

Then go to the follow to remove the unwanted environment (in this case Environment 1)

Tools>Options>Python Tools>Environment options.

Select the environment you wish to remove in both 'Default environment' and 'show settings for' drop down menus to allow (ungrey) the remove environment option at the bottom of the current options window.

Definitely had a newb moment this afternoon. However know I know a little more about VS and a little more about how I can tailor environments to the code language and its version.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 4:18 PM
  • Hi kWolf,

Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. It's really kind of you for sharing us your solution here, it
    will benefit to other community members who have the same issue.

Best Regards,

Wen Xu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 6:15 AM