none
SharePoint 2013 Managed Metadata field support

Question

• Hi there,

Looking very briefly at LightSwitch and SharePoint 2013, there does not seem to be any support for Managed Metadata columns, can anyone comment (any other SharePoint specific column types not supported).

Cheers,

Colin

Monday, April 08, 2013 1:02 PM

Answers

• LightSwitch still uses the listdata.svc OData endpoint for SharePoint which doesn't expose certain column types (managed metadata, task outcomes [maybe] external data).  Also, I'm not sure how calculated columns will behave if you try to edit them from LightSwitch (reading should be fine).  So there are a few nuances still there.

Would you mind sharing your scenario details?  I'm not real familiar with the managed metadata column and wonder how you'd be using it...

• Marked as answer by Ripster Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:17 AM
    Monday, April 08, 2013 11:03 PM

All replies

• LightSwitch still uses the listdata.svc OData endpoint for SharePoint which doesn't expose certain column types (managed metadata, task outcomes [maybe] external data).  Also, I'm not sure how calculated columns will behave if you try to edit them from LightSwitch (reading should be fine).  So there are a few nuances still there.

Would you mind sharing your scenario details?  I'm not real familiar with the managed metadata column and wonder how you'd be using it...

• Marked as answer by Ripster Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:17 AM
    Monday, April 08, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying. Just about all of the Apps I'd be looking to build would probably require the use of fields that are mapped to Managed Metadata termsets.

As an example, when you connect a SharePoint User Profile application to Active Directory and do an import of user accounts, the Managed Metadata People->Department termset is populated with all the Departments for the user accounts imported.

So I would be looking to use the Managed Metadata People->Department termset as my "master" departmental list for applications (there are many, many other termsets that i would be using, this is the simplest example).

InfoPath suffers from the same problem in that InfoPath forms had no support for Managed Metadata fields, it's been a bit of a bug-bear in the SharePoint world and would have been nice if LightSwitch had support for these field types.

The other field type I can imagine I'd want to use a lot is the Person field type.

Still, it looks like the support LightSwitch brings to allow for the rapid building of custom apps for SharePoint 2013 will defnitely be something we can make use of.

Cheers,

Colin

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:34 AM
  • Thanks Colin this helps - when I was playing with the column I actually used the exact example you mentioned (because it was simple :))

As you probably know, you could use the CSOM to access the column from LightSwitch just not in the model.

We are trying to figure out if we need to expand our SP support beyond listdata.svc it's always good to have the feedback to justify the direction.

Thanks again,

Brian

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:27 PM
    • Edited by Yann DuranModerator Monday, April 15, 2013 6:38 AM Make links clickable, added link text
    Monday, April 15, 2013 5:06 AM
  • I would love to see this as a feature as well.  There are many great enterprise wide scenarios where you use the managed metadata service as a central place to store a common set of information that you then want to reuse across several applications (perhaps built by Lightswitch).  For example, you could have an org structure setup in the term store.  You create a site field to surface this across multiple application.  The organization re-orgs.  You just have to alter the term store and the fields are updated all over SharePoint and your lightswitch applications.
    Friday, July 19, 2013 10:48 PM